IGNORED

Drive 1/2 swap switch?

monzamess

Is there a way to modify the original disk controller to wire up a switch to swap drives 1 & 2?

According to this ebay auction, the disk controller is wired up as such, but he didn't show a picture of the business side of the board:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-Apple-II-Clone-Computer-Motherboard-Cards-and-Drives-/181646596373?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4afb1915

(see 6th picture)

I am waiting on an SD Disk II emulator in the mail and I already have a normal floppy drive, so I'd really like to wire up such a switch so I can swap which one is drive 1 and which one is drive 2 without opening up the computer and swapping cables.

Google searches for instructions, history, even any mention of this mod, so far, have been fruitless.

Anyone know any more about it?

• Like 1

That is a Cool looking Clone System... There is Two Prototyping Areas on the Motherboard..

Here is My Guess!!

From the looks of the Switch on the Drive Interface, you would need to Swap the Drive Control Lines...

Looks like Pin # 14 is Drive Enable.

So With the Double Pole, Single Throw switch:

In One Direction, Drive #1 Enable goes to Drive #1 and Drive #2 Enable goes to Drive #2

in the Other Direction, Drive #1 Enable goes to Drive #2 and Drive #2 Enable goes to Drive #1

Maybe SpeedyG has some Information on this.... I am Posting a Request over at Apple Fritter...

MarkO

Thanks! I've lurked there before but I just finally joined to say thanks to SpeedyG. Will have to try it when I scrounge up the parts.

Your Welcome....

SpeedyG can be a bit gruff sometimes, but I have never seen anyone with more Apple ][ Information, with Detailed Pictures and Explanations..

Browse through his Apple-Box Tech Page sometime...

MarkO

Why to do the swap switch? I bought an SD Floppy emulator (yes there are more capable alternatives but none of them are available or in my price range) and it plugs into the disk controller. See http://www.ebay.com/itm/151573034009

It will usually be Drive 1, however, sometimes I still want to boot from actual floppies. This switch makes it easy instead of having to open the case and swap cables. If there is a better alternative I would love to hear it, like a special key combo to swap drives at boot, or whatever.

Edited by monzamess