IGNORED

Do you like Venture?

Mister VCS

This game got a good review in the former gaming magazine "Telematch"

(sister-mag of the US-"Electronic-games"), but I think different.

The graphic of the 2 realized levels is close to the CV-original, but the

cool sound is totally missing, and the game gets boring very soon. A 3rd level

would have helped very much here. I think it is better than the Donkey Kong port, but not really a fun game.

Mister VCS

Venture is weak, weak, weak. I've never seen the arcade version, but the 2600 version is entertaining for about 15 minutes. How many times can you repeat the same two levels?

I think Coleco's best game for the 2600 is Mouse Trap. It, too, is stripped down to the bones, but it's more addictive than Venture or Donkey Kong.

I got it when it came out and liked it then - Back then getting something remotely close to looking like the arcade was great - Venture accomplished that and was challenging to get high scores (vs DK which has to cheat to be hard ;) )

Looked at today you can criticize but when it came out it was a good translation.

Then again teh CV version has the levels but is so easy it doesnt matter!

I liked the ColecoVision version, though I never actually owned a copy of any version except for the Atari 2600 and the Intellivision (which I mistakenly bought for the Intellivsion II I owned, forgetting that it was not workable on that system! Oh well...!). The Atari 2600 version was okay, though not quite as fun as the ColecoVision version, not much challenge. The Intellivision version (which I finally got to play through an emulator) is weak on graphics, but it's just about as fun as the ColecoVision version.

I like Venture and I think it's a good translation considering the limitations of the 2600, but I wish it had something new to offer in later rounds. I've noticed that the games I like best keep changing as you play, even if it's simply a change in the color scheme.

Two things I find interesting about Venture are (1) its unusual system for setting the skill level and (2) the treasure in the "spider room" that is an artifact from Adventure. It would have been even better if the spiders were the same as the one in Haunted House. They are strangely similar but not identical.

gcVent5.gif

I wrote a review of Atari 2600 Venture for my web site a while back. If anyone's interested in reading it just click here.

If you like (or remotely liked) Venture. Check out Venture 2 sold here at Atari Age. It's still only two levels, but it's a lot better, especially with new in room obsticles and different graphics.

I still long for a Venture game with all 10 levels ( I think that's what the Colecovision version had) That would be awesome. Maybe someday we'll get a "Venture Arcade" that has all the levels? That would be awesome.