IGNORED

Intellivision II -cartage slot size

m-crew

Quick question? I have a intellivison II console, I have had since new. Bought in Canada..

I have issues of some releases not fitting into cartage slot. Like the Atari Soft releases,

Today I just received DK arcade and that didn't fit as well.. If I have the intellivoice

plugged in I can plug them into that and play. But in now way does it fit directly into the console.. When I look at cartage sizes from Mattel releases and the ones not fitting they

look a few mm smaller.. Is this a common issue, is there something physically mattel installed on some of there consoles to prevent use like they did with the coleco releases but on the software side.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like damaged carts or warped plastic somewhere. Is the Intellivoice unit hard to get in as well?

Quick question? I have a intellivison II console, I have had since new. Bought in Canada..
I have issues of some releases not fitting into cartage slot. Like the Atari Soft releases,
Today I just received DK arcade and that didn't fit as well.. If I have the intellivoice
plugged in I can plug them into that and play. But in now way does it fit directly into the console.. When I look at cartage sizes from Mattel releases and the ones not fitting they
look a few mm smaller.. Is this a common issue, is there something physically mattel installed on some of there consoles to prevent use like they did with the coleco releases but on the software side.

Any thoughts?

I've checked console slot and nothing warped or damage. Im going to try and take a pict of cartage slot..

intellivoice has not issues plugging in.. its only with those type of cartages..

That may be a plan to file but if I have too, ill keep the intellivioce plugged in. if someone has a chance could the take a pict of inside there intellivion II for me to compare that would be great..

It looks like it might be fairly easy to remove the black "guard" over the cartridge slot. It's got two screws holding it down and possibly a bit of glue on the locator pins on the board. Or you could just remove the portion that's in the way. It would snap off without much force.

post-39531-0-03689000-1423241400_thumb.jpgpost-39531-0-88210900-1423241363_thumb.jpg

This looks like it might be in place to restrict how far a cartridge can be inserted.

Edited by mthompson

It looks like it might be fairly easy to remove the black "guard" over the cartridge slot. It's got two screws holding it down and possibly a bit of glue on the locator pins on the board. Or you could just remove the portion that's in the way. It would snap off without much force.

attachicon.gifcartridge slot.jpgattachicon.gifIntv II.jpg

This looks like it might be in place to restrict how far a cartridge can be inserted.

look here: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234079-coleco-and-intellivision-ii/

Edited by Intymike

I wouldn't recommend removing it. The black piece is there to keep the cart connector from breaking off if someone pushed in too hard. I have not experienced any trouble with mine, only that 2 CBS games I have won't work because of the firmware block. Physically all cart should fit all Inty models, nothing changed. Only the firmware prevented a few unlicensed cart (and by accident one of their own) from working on Inty2 and wasn't used in Inty3

Take a close look inside the cart shell, maybe there's slight warping that is preventing the cart from clearing the black guard piece? Try inserting the cart while your Inty 2 cover is off to see where the obstruction is.

I wouldn't recommend removing it. The black piece is there to keep the cart connector from breaking off if someone pushed in too hard. I have not experienced any trouble with mine, only that 2 CBS games I have won't work because of the firmware block. Physically all cart should fit all Inty models, nothing changed. Only the firmware prevented a few unlicensed cart (and by accident one of their own) from working on Inty2 and wasn't used in Inty3

Take a close look inside the cart shell, maybe there's slight warping that is preventing the cart from clearing the black guard piece? Try inserting the cart while your Inty 2 cover is off to see where the obstruction is.

It's also there to prevent you from inserting a cartridge upside down. On the Intellivision 1, the connector is thicker and directly abuts the logic board. The side away from the logic board has two notches that are supposed to line up with some fins on the inside of the cartridge shell. If you look at the cartridges themselves, the board is not centered vertically in shell. It's closer to the bottom.

This system (subject to a patent, even) is intended to prevent you from inserting the cartridge upside down.

If you look closely at the Intellivision 2 cartridge connector, it has much thinner plastic all around, and doesn't have the grooves on the bottom. Instead, it's just thinner all around. The clip adds thickness on the top to prevent you from inserting the cartridge upside down.

And, as a data point, I just checked one of my Intellivision 2s (a red-stripe version), and it has the clip. Also, the one I modded a few years back did too, as seen at the left in this photo:

post-14113-0-18697600-1423277610_thumb.jpg

Edited by intvnut

Today I just received DK arcade and that didn't fit as well..

And DK Arcade should be in an LTO cartridge shell. I know for a fact that LTO cartridge shells fit fine in Intellivision 2s. I tried one just a few minutes ago just to double check!

I wonder if the clip in your Inty 2 is warped or maybe just not screwed tightly enough to the main board.

attachicon.gifcartridge slot.jpgattachicon.gifIntv II.jpg

Interesting. The Intellivision 2 you posted pics of and the one I posted pics of were manufactured just a few weeks apart. The date codes on the chips in yours are all 8252, with one 8251. (That's 1982, week 52.) The unit I posted is mostly 8303, with a little 8302 in there. (So, 8303 is 1983, week 3.)

Not really important to the discussion, but I thought it was amusing.

EDIT: Actually... mine was probably made much later, as the RAMs are date-code 8317. Also, not sure what's going on with the GROM there... it seems to have two date codes. Yours has Toshiba RAMs, while mine has AMD. Kinda fun playing "Where's Waldo" looking for all the differences.

Edited by intvnut

If it was a warped cartage boss/clip/stop what ever we want to call it. Would it not affect every make of cartage

then..

Just a thought.

looking at mine it really looks snug onto connector.. I wonder if mattel change suppliers for this piece and the

made it a bit thicker than previous..

An update on the LTO DK cartage, I did finally get it to plug directly into the console. I just had to slightly point the back end down making the front angle up slightly for it to pass over the top boss.. Next is to try this with the Atari soft cartages..

Edited by m-crew

An update on the LTO DK cartage, I did finally get it to plug directly into the console. I just had to slightly point the back end down making the front angle up slightly for it to pass over the top boss.. Next is to try this with the Atari soft cartages..

btw. cartage...is this canadian english?