IGNORED

RMT Patch 8

analmux

Patch 8 is a different number.

As RMT also isn't optimized for 15kHz sound, and doesn't know what "2 operator sound" is, the Patch allows to have some access to those features of POKEY.

They need different pitch to note calculations than standard 64kHz . Actually, it allows to use 16 Bit sound, but limits it to the 15kHz 8 bit resolution, to have two channels synchronized.

• Like 1

The version I'm running says it is v1.28. I'm hoping that's Patch 8?

Hopefully I didn't ninja edit on you. (I deleted a bit about E#. Let's pretend I didn't say that.)

The song that I'm recopying the notes on by hand... it is starting to sound good!

But I guess I still don't know what C1, H, and C2 are. From my reading, those might be some sort of German on Eastern European musical notes? But it still uses the standard Western musical scale that I'm used to, right?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I know just enough to enter notes, manipulate music, but I can't craft a melody. I'm no musician.

In some countries (i.e. Poland) H is used instead of B. And B is used instead of B-flat. It's just the difference in notation.

In RMT notation you can use C-1, C#1, D-1, D#1, E-1, F-1, F#1, G-1, G#1, A-1, A#1, H-1, C-2, C#2, and so on. The number next to the note indicates the octave to which that note belongs. C-1 means that C belongs to the first (lowest) octave. And H-2 for instance stands for B belonging to the second octave in the notation you're familiar with.

• Like 1

So things were clear. The notation pitches particular on the PAL version, has an error. So it plays lower notes a pitch too low. It's like you walk stairs down and break your bones on the lowest step, because it has a different height.

It's a problem of the low 8 bit resolution. RMT doesn't help you, finding the right "spare note" , and also doesn't use the 16 bit resolution.

The note ladder is standard in Tracker. You could load a MOD file in MPT (ModPlug Tracker) and get the feeling for the notes.

I think I follow. I'll have to correct any sour notes on my own, and playing it on a mod player and comparing would be helpful.

I've been cleaning things up and it is starting to sound like a decent song. Now I've got a new problem after importing a song! icon_winking.gif

I unmuted the track that had the drum instruments and started to fix it. Actually, it started to go well, but further down, one of the notes is red and has a symbol to the left of it which looks like an arrow pointing up? My best guess is that it is a "track end" command. All the notes below it are grayed out. I've tried to shift or remove the symbol, but all my attempts have either erased all the notes below my current position, or it has filled everything up with a copy of that same note. Control-Home, Control-End, that sort of thing.

Any ideas on how to repair a track like that?

Thanks again,

jmccorm

Have a look at "Track" and "Expand Loops In All Tracks"

Nice... I successfully converted and modified a song. Thanks for that and all the other answers, emkay!

The challenges that I ran into were that in the conversion process from the original MIDI to a MOD to an RMT were:

• Scrambled instruments (including the confusion resulting from the main voice becoming instrument 0, which was silent).
  • All the notes were mysteriously transposed up in the neighborhood of an octave and a half.
  • The loops were rolled up, so now I understand that this is an automatic process that I can undo.
  • RMT instruments can have a limited range, which means that a tune needs to be matched to a capable instrument.

Not all of these problems were the fault of RMT. While the original MIDI song sounded good, and the converted MOD sounded good, OpenMPT seems to be responsible for much of the scrambling. I believe that, when converting into MOD format, OpenMPT determines the pitch of each sampled instrument, and then it adjusts the original notes so that the sound will match the intended note. (It was preserving the sound and not preserving the recorded note and octave, so this made RMT look like it was the source of the corruption, when it was really the victim.)

I think, in the future, I either need to figure out how to get OpenMPT to convert a MIDI into a MOD while preserving the original notes, or I need a better set of tools to perform the conversion.

I was looking back through this thread (and a few others) and I'm in awe of the amount of POKEY understanding and some of the great instruments that have been created. The song is something that is going to be rolled into a larger project. Months down the road, right before I'm ready to release everything, I might just have to hit you up for some enhancements and refinement. icon_wink.gif

Thanks again, emkay.

• 4 years later...

When I use :

;* --------BEGIN--------
;* ...\title0.rmt
FEAT_SFX		equ 0
FEAT_GLOBALVOLUMEFADE	equ 0		;RMTGLOBALVOLUMEFADE variable
FEAT_NOSTARTINGSONGLINE	equ 0
FEAT_INSTRSPEED		equ 1
FEAT_CONSTANTSPEED		equ 0		;(647 times)
FEAT_COMMAND1		equ 1		;(36 times)
FEAT_COMMAND2		equ 1		;(1 times)
FEAT_COMMAND3		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_COMMAND4		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_COMMAND5		equ 1		;(2 times)
FEAT_COMMAND6		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_COMMAND7SETNOTE		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_COMMAND7VOLUMEONLY		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_PORTAMENTO		equ 1		;(1 times)
FEAT_FILTER		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_FILTERG0L		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_FILTERG1L		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_FILTERG0R		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_FILTERG1R		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_BASS16		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_BASS16G1L		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_BASS16G3L		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_BASS16G1R		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_BASS16G3R		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_VOLUMEONLYG0L		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_VOLUMEONLYG2L		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_VOLUMEONLYG3L		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_VOLUMEONLYG0R		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_VOLUMEONLYG2R		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_VOLUMEONLYG3R		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_TABLETYPE		equ 1		;(1 times)
FEAT_TABLEMODE		equ 0		;(0 times)
FEAT_TABLEGO		equ 1		;(1 times)
FEAT_AUDCTLMANUALSET		equ 1		;(13 times)
FEAT_VOLUMEMIN		equ 1		;(1 times)
FEAT_EFFECTVIBRATO		equ 1		;(5 times)
FEAT_EFFECTFSHIFT		equ 0		;(0 times)
;* --------END--------

I have an error when compiling with MADS:

rmtplayr.asm (147) ERROR: Undeclared label FRQTABCLDGHI (BANK=0)

@shanti77 which version of RMT ASM do you use? Using optimized RMT ASM sources stopped working somewhen between 1.324 and 1.34 - at least for me. So I have to use LZSS for newer RMT.

Latest RMT exports that direct, so it works. 1.326 and later does not work with rmt2lzss by @rensoup.

LZSS replay lacks of sfx features, so not that usable for music+sfx ingame. 

Edited by pps
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shanti77 said:

I used the sources from the first post in this thread.
I haven't read the whole topic, but there is probably one version of the "rmt_feat" file. For all melodies, you must use the source file, not the one generated by RMT.

Ah I see. I thought you was referring to RMT ASM, that came with newer releases. There is optimizing not implemented atm. 

• 1 year later...