30 members have voted

1. 1. ...yes Vote and play, Atari today! Details/Links on post below

• Food Fight
    • World Karate Championship
    • Gyruss
    • Encounter
    • Assembloids XE

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Round 2 poll already and still no platformer (don't tell McKong!); add any suggestions for future rounds to the Welcome and Games List post :)

Any problems getting things to run post for help.

Poll will close Sunday ~10am

Food Fight

This one may be too easy for top players (on PAL anyway)...

Fandal / atarimania.com

food_fight.png

World Karate Championship (also known as International Karate)

Beat up your HSC rivals! Very nice game and now it's even better. After a few goes you can make some progress, learn a few of the moves on the 2 player game then take it out on the computer opponents.

Original Fandal / Atarimania IK / atarimania WKC or enhanced 2014 version with London! Fandal

world_karate_championship.png international_karate_enhanced_version_20

Gyruss

Iconic shooter with fantastic music. May still have a glitch but you can live with it, although perhaps not as it may cost you a man!

Fandal / Atarimania

gyruss.png

Encounter

Frantic Battlezone sytle game, superbly done

Fandal / Atarimania

encounter!.png

Assembloids XE

Great new game from the abbuc software contest 2013. Pieces appear in the middle box and you have to quickly! put them in one of the four boxes, points for completed faces and more for faces of the same colour. Fast but fun... might need a suitable bonus game for this one as it's quick to play unless you are some kind of machine ;)

Fandal / AtariAge

assembloids_xe.png

I voted for Food Fight. I'm terrible at the game, and I never much cared for it: I thought the idea was just too simple. How can I say that though? Look at the current High Score game, Jr. Pac-Man. They're both simple games in their own way. It would be neat to play one right after the other: two consecutive rounds with games where you just need to collect stuff!

I decided to give Food Fight another chance after reading "The Making of Food Fight" in issue #135 of Retro Gamer magazine. The four-page article shows that there is much more depth to the game than I'd previously known. The Atari 7800 port is based on the source code of the arcade game and is supposed to be near-arcade perfect, but I'm not sure how close the Atari 8-Bit version of the game is the arcade original.

If you're interested, issue #135 of Retro Gamer is still available:

https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/magazines/retrogamer/retro-gamer-issue-135.html

It would be neat to have a reason to play Food Fight, which I previously frowned-upon. Like Jr. Pac-Man, if it wins the round for play selection, then I'll have a great reason to play it and learn it well enough (I hope!) to overlook my initial prejudice toward the game.

All those great games that we suggested and that's the short list you came up with, I thought you were trying to attract more players! Or is that just a list of games that you're good at? :grin:

You need to concentrate on the shortlist of games I'm not good at...

the first one is Mountain King :-D

Yes there were two runner up games that made it to poll 2!

I'm pretty sure Food Fight is flawed and the game was too easy even on the hard setting (flawed in some way perhaps) but I may be wrong... might dig it out if it doesn't win the poll for investigation [just checked my notes and "retired at 1,000,000 points" but that was on beginner so might be ok after all :thumbsup: