IGNORED

getting stickers off of boxes!

xucaen

How hard is it to get stickers off of these Atari cartridge boxes? I have one that has a price sticker on it. I was thinking a hair dryer might melt the glue but I am afraid of ruining the box. Even if I got the sticker off it might leave glue behind on the box and I wouldn't be able to get that off without ruining the box.

Alright, what you need to get is this: Un-Du adhesive remover

It is better than Goo-Gone or other adhesive removers because it is water, not oil based. You can pour it on cardboard or even paper and it will temporarily neutralize the adhesive glue and peel right off without leaving residue or other oils that will permanently stain paper products. It is used specifically for scrapbooking but I use it all the time strictly for removing adhesive labels from all kinds of stuff and pen and ink marks from used books. This stuff is INCREDIBLE and I absolutely LOVE IT!

It is better than Goo-Gone or other adhesive removers because it is water, not oil based. You can pour it on cardboard or even paper and it will temporarily neutralize the adhesive glue and peel right off without leaving residue or other oils that will permanently stain paper products. It is used specifically for scrapbooking but I use it all the time strictly for removing adhesive labels from all kinds of stuff and pen and ink marks from used books. This stuff is INCREDIBLE and I absolutely LOVE IT!

Bestine has no oils in it. It leaves no residue, and I've even successfully used it on watercolor paintings to remove adhesive tape. I would never use Goo Gone on anything - it leaves everything slimy and smelling like orange peel.

• Like 1

Seconded on Bestine - it works great. It's available online or at most art supply stores. It's pricey, but a little goes a long ways.

I've left all of my price stickers on though. It's part of the history of the game.

defender-for-cheap.jpg

yeah I like leaving original sales stickers on boxes when I can ....

yard sale stickers or whatnot usually are newer & come right off with a little heat from hair dryer

I use Naptha (Zippo Lighter Fluid). Also leaves no residue whatsoever.

If it leaves some adhesive, reapply and wipe gently.

Only one time, a Hills Department Store price sticker, it failed.

I've seen stamp collectors use Naptha to test for stamp authenticity. On a priceless stamp I don't think they would use something that harms or leaves any residue!

It also gets some marker off for those that wrote on their cart collection, however too much pressure on silver labels will take the ink off the and the artwork ink off.

Still tops for softening nearly all adhesives.

Edit: Also since it evaporates completely, you can put the sticker on wax paper, and reapply it whenever because the sticky returns to its previous state.

Edited by iesposta

This is NOT... I REPEAT... NOT Goo-Gone!!!! You can pour this on PAPER documents and it will not WARP, WRINKLE, STAIN, or leave ANY STICKY RESIDUE! Seriously, this stuff beats using highly flammable toxic chemicals in Bestine and is completely safe for skin contact.

I never said it was Goo-Gone, I was just reiterating your point about not using Goo-Gone because it leaves a greasy mess. I'd like to give Un-Du a shot and see how it works, although it is still highly flammable. Bestine definitely should be used in a well-ventilated area though. It's not kid-safe.

Seriously, this stuff beats using highly flammable toxic chemicals in Bestine and is completely safe for skin contact.

Yikes, Not meaning to nit-pick, I'm sure this is a very effective product as you say, but you might want to revise that bit about chemicals and safe for skin contact:

Effects of Overexposure

Inhalation of vapors may cause coughing, chest pains, or nose and throat irritation. Inhalation of vapors may cause coughing, chest pains, nausea and vomiting. Liquid may be irritating to skin, eyes, and mucous membranes. Liquid may cause dermatitis. Ingestion may cause nausea, vomiting headaches, dizziness, gastrointestinal irritation. Chronic effects of overexposure may include central nervou8s system depression.

• 3 months later...

I purchased this on your recommendation. It worked decent. I will say you however, are misinformed. You stated it is water based and not flamable. It definately is not water based and as the warning says "Extremely Flamable" which would make it NOT water based as you said. I have used it on many items now for the last month and seems to be right on part with Bestine.post-25505-0-45788400-1434056169_thumb.jpg

Water based with extremely flammable chemicals which cause it to evaporate immediately. If it was oil-based like Goo-Gone it would stain and leave residue. Point is, it WORKS and it doesn't have as strong of a chemical smell as bestine and not nearly as toxic but if that works for you then use it. To each their own.

Edited by Tron Unit

Water based with extremely flammable chemicals which cause it to evaporate immediately. If it was oil-based like Goo-Gone it would stain and leave residue. Point is, it WORKS and it doesn't have as strong of a chemical smell as bestine and not nearly as toxic but if that works for you then use it. To each their own.

you are correct it does work. Bestine also works. It is definately not water based and is flamable as you said it is not. IMO it is very much on par with Bestind and smell almost the same.

Does anyone know if Bestine or Undo also removes the crusty/dried remnants of stickers that have been on for decades? I have a few boxes where it looks like this masking tape crustiness was left behind from a sticker...

I would assume you are talking about the crap on most all Sears boxes? The simple answer is no. I have tried many different things and once the glue turns hard and crusty, there is no easy way to remove it.

It is indeed water based and has chemicals that cause it to evaporate with air. All I said was "it beats using highly flammable toxic chemicals in Bestine and is completely safe for skin contact." Meaning that it's not nearly as dangerous as using Bestine. Nowhere on the label does it say to wear gloves and avoid skin contact. This stuff is MUCH safer to handle than using Bestine BEACUSE it is diluted and water-based!

I replied to your thread to give you help and I gave you one of the best known tips for adhesive label removers around and all you keep doing is nitpicking everything I said and complaining. Bestine apparently works for you so have fun handling those highly dangerous toxic chemicals that have obviously fried your brain cells.

fkrCCfd.png

Edited by Tron Unit

I replied to your recommendation and stated my results with the product. That's all, not nitpicking, but stating facts. An item that is "water based" or more than 50% water is not "extremely flamable" it just isn't. Nothing you say will change that fact. Sorry if I messed up some sort of kickback you are getting. :(

Small price stickers are cool to leave on. The huge orange discount stickers taking up 20% of the box is an eyesore and probably should be removed.

BTW, I purchased some "sealed" games from someone a few years ago just to find out they were reshrinkwrapped. How did I know? The price sticker from the store was UNDER the cellophane.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Misread the argument regarding Un-do v's Bestine - hence the edit.

But never the less Un-do is not water based in any manner, nor is it free of health hazards, over exposure will also lead to nervous system depression - They are both rated '1' on the hazard scale.

See for yourselves:

Un-do: http://www.un-du.com/un-du_MSDS_AR.pdf

Bestine: http://www2.uwstout.edu/content/msds/Bestine-Solvent-Thinner-Union-Rubber-Inc-2000.pdf

They are practically the same things - Heptane - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heptane

Edited by nofrills100