IGNORED

Universal adapter settings for a 2600

Atarifever

Hey. My sister gave me a 2600 her and her boyfriend found a couple years ago. It's a 4 switch woodgrain one. I kept it around now for a couple years and, to be honest, have not used it. When I go to play 2600, it's always through my 7800, and I have a couple of those. Anyway, there's a great local used game place that gives great money for old systems, and I'm going to sell it to them. However, the adapter has been missing apparently for years, and the guy who used to own it always used a universal 300ma adapter for it. The settings are for 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, and 9V. When I test it out it works alright, but I'm getting some strange behaviour (is it called gray-out behaviour?). It doesn't completely shut down, but sometimes it resets or goes a little dark. It was set to 9V when I got it, and that's what they always used when they were kids. Is this an appropriate setting or adapter?

Thanks.

In the attached picture you will find what you need and here is the link where to get it:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/2600_Tech_Tips.htm

This is the part you need and they sell it:

Atari US 2600 Power supply CO16353 / CA014034 $9.95

I would not recommend a Universal adapter because heaven forbid the switch on it accidentally gets bumped then the whole unit is fried, I did it once is how I know which is why when I found this place they are the sole people I deal with for anything Atari related in replacement parts

post-2131-0-33803200-1424526958_thumb.jpg

However, the adapter has been missing apparently for years, and the guy who used to own it always used a universal 300ma adapter for it. The settings are for 4.5V, 6V, 7.5V, and 9V. When I test it out it works alright, but I'm getting some strange behaviour (is it called gray-out behaviour?). It doesn't completely shut down, but sometimes it resets or goes a little dark. It was set to 9V when I got it, and that's what they always used when they were kids. Is this an appropriate setting or adapter?

9V dc is the correct setting, but 300 mA is a bit low for a 2600, it should be at least 500ma. The voltage might also vary a bit (I use a 7.5V regulated voltage with my 2600, so the 7805 power regulator runs cooler), but it's very important that the polarity is correct (center tip positive in this case), else you will damage the console.

The problems you experience might also due to some aging components inside the console, like the power regulator or a capacitor.

I would not recommend a Universal adapter because heaven forbid the switch on it accidentally gets bumped then the whole unit is fried

On the universal power adapters I have, the voltage selection is made through a rotary switch that needs a screwdriver or another flat tool to operate, so it's unlikely to change the setting by accident. You can stick a piece of tape over the switch just to be sure. There are also fixed voltage power supply which will avoid the problem.

Personally, I prefer a modern replacement over a part that, while original, has been in storage for 30 years and might have leaking caps or other damage due to time.