IGNORED

a few thoughts on Climber 5

SS

It was really nice to be able to demo this game at the PC. Very fun and very addicting. Great game play. However, I did find that the changing playfield colors made the graphics a bit hard to see on the higher levels. Having never played the original, I don't know if this is unique to the 2600 version but I do know that I heard more than a few people exclaim "I can't see what I'm doing" (or something to that effect) when they got to level 7 or 8. Something that might want to be kept in mind. Otherwise, fantastic job and I can't wait to get one!

Thanks for the comments...

The original does change background and foreground color as the game progresses. I too had the same gripe when I played it on my 2600. It didn't look too bad on the emulator. The A8 had 256 colors to play with where I have 128. I used the same formula used in the original to compute the colors but as you saw this didn't do well on Stella. I wanted to add a table for color look up but ultimately ran out of time :sad:

I have since added this in and now the levels in question have a better coloring scheme.

Count me among the Climber 5 addicts at Philly.

I agree with that color scheme.  Great to see it's fixed.

Oh and I was able to make it up to level 9. :D

You were one of the guys that I was talking about. I didn't get anywhere near level 9!

Hi DEBRO,

I enjoyed playing your game at Philly. I think that it is addictive and has a great gameplay.

The only 2 comments I have are the color scheme used for level 3 - kind of too bright in my opinion. Also, the change in difficulty between level 2 and 3 is pretty sharp. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but in level 3, there seem to be 2 or 3 vertical bars moving together at the same vertical line such, that it is neearly impossible to get through...

As I didn't make it through level 3 I cannot comment of higher levels... :)

Overall, my favorite 2600 homebrew so far, I'll definitely get a copy when available.

OG.

Hi DEBRO,

I enjoyed playing your game at Philly. I think that it is addictive and has a great gameplay.

Thanks OG.

The only 2 comments I have are the color scheme used for level 3 - kind of too bright in my opinion. Also, the change in difficulty between level 2 and 3 is pretty sharp. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but in level 3, there seem to be 2 or 3 vertical bars moving together at the same vertical line such, that it is neearly impossible to get through...

What :?:

Are you sure you couldn't descend or ascend to another platform to "squeeze" by them? I thought I fixed this problem. Oh well, I guess it's back to the lab :roll:

Thanks for the comments. When I get this little bug and some other issue ironed out I'll post another binary to try.

Climber 5 was one of the 'must see' titles for me, although it took BP to walk me through the first few levels 8)  

@Dennis - Hurry up & finish it, will ya!? :D

I second that. I only had a little bit of time to fiddle with it at the Classic, but it was very cool. I can't wait for the final release!