IGNORED

How has this not been posted yet? Retro VGS

racerx

I've seen this before though. Ironically enough Colectorvision acquired the Acclaim name recently. They branded their game Justice Beaver with it. I'm sure that Tiny Knight will have it slapped on as well or at least whatever port this monstrosity of a console sees. Sometimes its better to allow the companies of days past to rest in peace.

Sadly, I don't think this kind of thing will ever stop. As we can see from the lazy press coverage of the Chameleon, there are already countless stories about "Coleco's new console" and "Coleco is back," etc., stating that it's an extension of the original company that gave us the ColecoVision and other vintage Coleco products. That type of thing has happened multiple times before any time the rights to a familiar name are snatched up and slapped on new product. Unfortunately, that's the type of free publicity and "innocent" consumer confusion that's EXACTLY the reason why you want to do that very thing, i.e., it's just good business if you're otherwise resource constrained to establish your own brand.

The average consumer doesn't have the time nor interest to sort out what's "real" and what's just necro-naming, and, as was stated, many of today's journalists on this-minute deadlines don't have the time to write from an informed position to help the public sort through the confusion.

• Like 10

You know, I said not too Long ago, this seemed like something a Little kid put together in a wet dream. and that was BEFORE they threw in a completely random Name of some old System just because they can.

I guess Capcom and specially Konami should be good enough examples that a brand Name doesn't mean Quality in the slightest. But if you have no idea what you're doing, and you product has 0 actual Appeal, slapping a known Name to it is a very well known tactic of making someone give a crap about your piece of nothing.

This is interesting. This might be the first time we see a gaming console using the shovelware licensed garbage logic. MAybe they can actually license a Star Wars model, that Comes with a lightsaber Motion controll or something. That would be cool wouldn't it?

And guys, don't Forget they have contacts with Sega and many other huge companies of old. This might not end at this. We all know Sega will licence any Piece of plastic junk you make if you just pay enough. And from the Level of crappy junk some of the Sega licenced stuff that Comes out lately it probably isn't even much Money at all..

It's good to see they've learned their lesson and are bringing some more clarity this time around isn't it?

Edited by leods
  • Like 5

I think Atari's name still has enough good feelings associated with it to wring out a few more bucks from 30 to 40 somethings; very few wax nostalgic for the glory days of Acclaim.

I'd buy an Acclaim something-or-other, but only if it was a novelty item that was similarly past its relevance.... Like a fanny pack, or walkman.

Sadly, I don't think this kind of thing will ever stop. As we can see from the lazy press coverage of the Chameleon, there are already countless stories about "Coleco's new console" and "Coleco is back," etc., stating that it's an extension of the original company that gave us the ColecoVision and other vintage Coleco products. That type of thing has happened multiple times before any time the rights to a familiar name are snatched up and slapped on new product. Unfortunately, that's the type of free publicity and "innocent" consumer confusion that's EXACTLY the reason why you want to do that very thing, i.e., it's just good business if you're otherwise resource constrained to establish your own brand.

The average consumer doesn't have the time nor interest to sort out what's "real" and what's just necro-naming, and, as was stated, many of today's journalists on this-minute deadlines don't have the time to write from an informed position to help the public sort through the confusion.

Unfortunately you're right, I only saw two articles but that's already enough.

You're also right on another thing- their lack of effort. The second article says that they're actually working with a guy from Coleco named Chris Cardillo. His Linkedin says he's worked at Coleco, the "Originator of the Cabbage Patch Dolls and maker of the ColecoVision" ... for the past three months. And he's also an accomplished author of books such as “Study Less and Earn A’s Without Effort,” and “Collecting & Completing your GIJOE figures and Accessories.”
Also, here's what he knows about Mike's console so far:
rvgs_121715_cardillo_fb3.png
I actually feel sorry for the guy, he has no fuckin' clue what he just got himself into.
  • Like 10

Things like that specifically piss me off. COLECO is not back; it's a dead brand. This is a last ditch attempt at shedding the heat from the RETRO VGS failure, coupled with a nostalgia grab at the less informed who were old enough to have a ColecoVision. So frustrating, and this is only day one.

Edited by dj_convoy
  • Like 5

having recently been burned by rdio's bankruptcy and sale to pandora, and getting nothing in return for my years of being a subscriber... i have to disagree. i will still prefer to own a physical copy, even if it's optical.

Sorry.. I should'a said digital distribution - this is where you download and make your own local copy, burn it, save it, something like that.

• Like 1

Oh lawdy. Just came across this while reading flipboard. I was like "those renders look awfully familiar!" then The Verge's article said something about the RVGS team being brought on board and I was like "Here we go again!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Chris Cardillo - Actor, Music Producer, Rapper, GI Joe Collector, Author.

(His 2 books one a NES collectors guide and the other a GI Joe Guide are at best a weekends work grabbing images on the interned in MS paint and stitching them all together. I have his GI Joe book it woeful.)

He a perfect fit for the team.

• Like 6

Chris Cardillo - Actor, Music Producer, Rapper, GI Joe Collector, Author.

(His 2 books one a NES collectors guide and the other a GI Joe Guide are at best a weekends work grabbing images on the interned in MS paint and stitching them all together. I have his GI Joe book it woeful.)

He a perfect fit for the team.

Holy shit. I thought you were being sarcastic. Nope. "Staple Bound: 40 pages"

"by Chris Cardillo (Author, Photographer)" but there is no photography in it, it's literally just a collection of NES box art. I guess you're supposed to check them off as you collect them?

I want to hear him rap.

I think they should have followed the Zeinth's tv slogan before launching system

"The Quality Goes in, Before the Name goes on"

Well it is true... if you count bad quality.

Edit: Okay, I stand corrected. Now is when I will say "holy shit..."

5.jpg

youneedme.jpg

Or Mambo Italiano, the rap version!

Edited by StopDrop&Retro
  • Like 5

Wow, 176 pages is a lot to sift through.... um... for those of us who are new to the party... is most of the criticism around the concept of there even being being a new cartridge based FPGA system or is most of it based on how terribly it has been mishandled by the group who was/is putting this together?

Wow, 176 pages is a lot to sift through.... um... for those of us who are new to the party... is most of the criticism around the concept of there even being being a new cartridge based FPGA system or is most of it based on how terribly it has been mishandled by the group who was/is putting this together?

It's literally 175 pages of different criticisms, that's how bad it is. :P

• Like 7

Yes, and yes.

• Like 5