IGNORED

Controller Disc Cosmetic Repair

HunterZero

I had the same problem. The disc is just made of cheap silver sheet metal. If you pull off the disc and turn it around you can see it. I think, they simply attached a golden sticker with transparency film on top of it. The best solution probably would be to buy a sheet of self-sticking brass-foil, which can be found on ebay for a few bucks and put that onto the discs.

Maybe pull the disc off first, attach the brass-foil, cut along the rim with a pair of scissors, put back onto controller. I'd like to think, that might be better than paint or plastic film.

Just a follow-up to my disc repair project...

I completed the final step, of using a non-thermal laminator, on the disc. It worked very well. After a little trimming, I put everything back together and the controller looks like new. Hopefully the plastic layer will hold-up to thumb wear-and-tear and won't shrink over time.

A big thank you to HunterZero for starting this thread and motivating me to attempt the repair.

All the best,

StephenJ

• Like 1

"...Now take a before pic so I can compare..."

Yeah..I should have. Sorry. The damage to the disc wasn't severe, just a bit unsightly...especially when compared to the other disc. The surface of the disc was covered in scratches that fortunately didn't cut through to the metal.

StepheJ

HunterZero,

"...Do you have details about the cold lamination you used? Was it a machine?..."

It's really nothing special. Here it is on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Xyron-ezLaminator-Laminating-Machine-145611/dp/B000MK5YNQ

"...Was it double sided lamination?..."

It is double-sided. So, I put a piece of paper under the disc when I sent it through. Then, after cutting away the excess plastic around the disc, the bottom (paper-side) just fell off.

"...Wondering if the plastic is a bit thicker and more robust than adhesive film..."

Sorry, but I really couldn't say. I'd hate to see you invest in the machine only to find that the plastic is no more durable than what you have.

Hope I've been of some help,

StephenJ