IGNORED

Over-produced cartridges

cryptik76

Is there an interesting story at all behind the fact that Atari produced way too many Crystal Mines II, Xybots, Tournament Cyberball, Chip's Challenge, etc. cartridges? I mean, I've seen E-bay auctions for 1,000 Steel Talons games in one lot (and I'm sure there've been bigger lots)!

It's nice for collectors, really, since it's so cheap to get a respectable size collection going (and, eight years after the Lynx's retail lifespan ended, the most rare and expensive games are right around their retail pricepoint). But it just seems like another example of bad foresight on Atari's part.

...or it even might be that Atari produced standard-sized lots of most games during the main portion of the Lynx's life, but that these particular games didn't sell well at all. Most of the cheapo games have particularly ugly packaging (and poor screenshots) despite being uniformly well-made; I was drawn to releases like "Toki" and "Scrapyard Dog" in '91 and '92 (which looked like more fun as I was eyeing them in the computer store), and missed out on "Crystal Mines II", even though it's an excellent game.

...or it even might be that Atari produced standard-sized lots of most games during the main portion of the Lynx's life, but that these particular games didn't sell well at all. Most of the cheapo games have particularly ugly packaging (and poor screenshots) despite being uniformly well-made; I was drawn to releases like "Toki" and "Scrapyard Dog" in '91 and '92 (which looked like more fun as I was eyeing them in the computer store), and missed out on "Crystal Mines II", even though it's an excellent game.

I've noticed that most Atari Lynx boxes that I own have horrible screenshots. They must not have had a very good method for taking screenshots at Atari (or they were just cheap). Also, concerning Crystal Mines II, how many people would have actually been interested in buying a sequel to an unlicensed Nintendo game nobody played, anyway? Some Lynx games were just so quirky that they didn't have a chance at retail, even though they were actually good.

True. Many of the better games are the ones that looked like total crap from the box. Bill and Teds is a fine example.

I've never played Bill and Ted's. I've been scared off by the license (and the history of movies turned into games, which is not exactly a treasure trove of quality gaming). Since it's so inexpensive, I'm going to have to pick it up one of these days.

Actually, I think Bill And Ted is one of the better titles for the Lynx and so far the closest you'll come to an RPG. From time to time I see people bashing it, but I suppose they haven't grasped the quite obscure concepts of time paradoxes and using the right music instruments for certain dangers instead of standard combat. And the music towards the end of the game is really inspired!

I would go as far as saying that Bill and Ted is one of the top 5!

Actually, I think Bill And Ted is one of the better titles for the Lynx and so far the closest you'll come to an RPG.  From time to time I see people bashing it, but I suppose they haven't grasped the quite obsqure concepts of time paradoxes and using the right music instruments for certain dangers instead of standard combat. And the music towards the end of the game is really inspired!

I would go as far as saying that Bill and Ted is one of the top 5 the Lynx has!

Well, the closest that you'll come to a RPG is actually Daemon's Gate (which is larger and more complete than most people think), but I won't quibble with you recommendation of "Bill & Ted". It's truly an underappreciated game.

I'd say Daemon's Gate is only about 30-40% complete, but I haven't yet finished exploring the cart. Each of the four towns that you can explore is roughly the size of each of the time periods in Bill & Ted, but the game is much more complex. You can, for instance, interact with a wide variety of characters and (theoretically) cast spells. The plot of DG is also very complex, and you'll have to talk to many different characters before you'll be able to discern what it is you're supposed to do. I wrote a review of the game for "The Atari Times", and you should be able to read more about it there (if you want to do so) in a few days.

I'd definitely recommend "Daemon's Gate" as a purchase. Bruce Caruso is currently selling four proto carts for $100, so you can purchase several games for approx. $25 each. I'd say "Daemon's Gate", even in its current state, is certainly worth $25.

But I can also assure you that I'll be one of the first in line to purchase "Distant Lands" when it's finally available. :)

Kewlness! It's such a pity that all the great RPG'g was shelved. Daemon's gate, Guardian, Eye of the Beholder... Just what the system needed. Let's hope for Distant Lands at least.  

Don´t forget about Dracula the Undead. A bit short and has no save feature but a great RPG and one of the best games ever for the Atari Lynx :)

Tjena Svenne :)

I agree that Dracula is a well executed game, but it could have been done so much better with a savegame feature (at least some codes, damnit!) and all of the original effort included on a cart with more capacity. But the ambience of the game is terrific, me thinks.

Hmmm, back I go for another round of Rampart. My university studies has taken some serious damage since I got my last batch of Lynx Titles, tehe. If Atari was still around I would sue them for making addicting games like Rampart. Virtually impossible to complete, but still there's this vain hope that maybe next time.. or next... Argh! :) It will never happen.

Any info on a web site address where I could go and look at these proto's, David?  

Thanks

Mendon

Screenshots for all of the protos, with the exception of "Daemon's Gate", can be found in the Lynx section of the website.

Gregory George is currently looking for images of "Daemon's Gate", and I haven't seen any myself posted on the web. It looks, essentially, like the screenshots that we do have for "Distant Lands", though that title looks to be a bit more polished.