IGNORED

MSXdev homebrews on ColecoVision

Pixelboy

Sure. It would be easy and everything would fit nicely. There is no hw trick in Uridium that a coleco cannot do.

The code uses a bunch of undocumented features of the vdp, a lot of combinatorics is needed to generate the data (my Matlab script lasts about 10 minutes on my PC), some sections are cycle exact. Add that the audio section should be redone from scratch. In short, there is no hope for anyone to port this game having only its sources (spending a reasonable time, naturally).

Even in shorter, buy an msx1 and the cart, it will be cheaper.

Thanks for contradicting yourself... :ponder:

Let me see if I understand what is going on here...

artrag is saying that we cannot port the game because it is highly compressed using some sort of proprietary algorithm and once we change any part of the code, we would need to recompress it again, which isn't possible without the proprietary algorithm. Am I getting it right?

But more importantly, the author doesn't seem willing to have his game made available on the ColecoVision, which I believe is his right...

Let me see if I understand what is going on here...

artrag is saying that we cannot port the game because it is highly compressed using some sort of proprietary algorithm and once we change any part of the code, we would need to recompress it again, which isn't possible without the proprietary algorithm. Am I getting it right?

But more importantly, the author doesn't seem willing to have his game made available on the ColecoVision, which I believe is his right...

He did get our hopes up a little bit, but yeah, if he doesn't want it to happen, that's his right.

I know I'm just one voice in this discussion, but for me, I personally love these MSX ports (and the SG-1000 one for that matter) and would love to see more. While I've heard some people say that some of the homebrew titles are "just a port" there are games I've picked up like Circus Charlie, Goonies, Track & Field, etc, that are just as good as the games I impatiently waited for to get released when I was a kid. I don't own an MSX, don't have an MSX emulator, and don't have much interest in getting involved with another system, so as many of these MSX ports you can bring to my ColecoVision is something that I would fully support!