IGNORED

Editing slow again

Strange. yesterday I have use no Proxy for this site, and it has work great with the new Posts. But today it work not again.

I can't use no Proxy, because then the site is not working. And if I use Proxy, I can't see the new posts.

Now I have think it work again since yesterday, and now again it don't work. :? :sad:

But when I use a Proxy it work, and its fast. Not slow by me. But I can't see the new posts. :(

Yeah, this software is evil and the database is getting quite large since we haven't been purging old messages. Since the server isn't getting any faster, as the database gets larger it takes longer and longer to edit messages. This was a big problem before we switched servers over the summer, and there are probably only two ways to make editing messages faster again:

1) Prune a large chunk of old messages

2) Move AtariAge to a faster server

Choice #1 is the easiest and cheapest, but I would prefer to avoid doing that as possible, as it's quite nice being able to search through all the messages since AtariAge has gone online (about two years now!) Moving the server to a faster machine is a possibility, but it's not going to happen in the immediate future. So for the short term the problem will probably remain, unless I can find a solution on the phpbb forums (unlikely).

..Al

Hi there!

Yep...the same could be said about anything not responded to in over a year.  Some sooner than that (like the marketplace and ebay threads long since over and done with).

While agreeing with the marketplace and ebay threads, I think one should probably handpick the threads in most other boards. Really important and valuable information from the "Programming" or all the "Systems" boards might get lost otherwize. Maybe the moderators should try to keep their boards clean and carefully remove useless threads older than a year or so?

Greetings,

Manuel

I am still not convince that this problem can not be solved with some patches to the software. If you follow the link I posted above, it all sounds very logical (esp. the missing index).

I since then watched my repsonse times when editing, and there is an obvious match to the length of the old post. So it must have to do with deleting the old words from the search index.

I just made a simple test:

I added a single word message and edited it again into a single word: 8 sec

Then I eddited it into a few hundred words: 9 sec

Finally I edited that back to another single word: 40 sec

This would confirm that the delay comes from removing the words from the search index.

Hi Albert!

30% of the messages reside in the Off Topic board, most of which is probably not really worth to be archived forever... :evil: |:)

Greetings,

Manuel

I've archived most of the God? thread (although I need to archive the newer pages)

^ 16 that time (three edits)

Hm, I don't get what you are testing there. :?

AFAIK the number of posts/member shouldn't slow it down.

No, I was editing the first post above (the one made at 09:54)...it only shows two edits because the first edit was made before I posted a followup that showed how long it took for it to complete.

Hi Albert!

30% of the messages reside in the Off Topic board, most of which is probably not really worth to be archived forever... :evil: |:)

Greetings,

Manuel

I've archived most of the God? thread (although I need to archive the newer pages)

You would :P j/k

* dodges rotten egg

I just read through quite a few posts in various threads on the phpbb support forum and I'm going to try making these changes tonight to our server. If all goes well, it should significantly increase the speed of deleting and editing posts. I will be taking the forum down while doing this, and it'll probably take an hour or so. Will post another msg here after it's done. :)

..Al