IGNORED

Classical Music in Atari 8-Bit Games

MrFish

Here you can find a long list of games (mainly from Atari XL/XE) which include classical music pieces (or other borrowed tracks).

Thanks. I actually had the idea of starting a similar list, but rather aimed at classical only.

One notable omission on that list is the Axis Komputerkunst (Ariola) intro screen music to games such Schreckenstein -- the one where it shows the skinny black guy jogging -- which is a Gavotte from one of Bach's lute suites.

Edited by MrFish

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...

Sorry to raise a dead thread, but perhaps someone with better memory than I have can help.  I recall a small song that I believe is an incomplete or short classical work that was ported to the Atari in a demo - think something like the Rotberg Synthesizer (but not that).

I believe the song's title was "Pieces of Eight" or something similar to that.  For the life of me, I can't remember the name and I can't find it.  I do remember how the song goes, but kind of hard to demonstrate that! :D

Classical music was very common in 80s games.  Because it was reproduced in chiptune format, we 80s kids didn't realize we were getting cultured :)

I suspect classical music was used for two reasons:   

1)  those games were often designed by one or two people, and the average programmer is not a music composer.   

2)  A lot of classical music is now public domain so no royalty issues.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, zzip said:

Because it was reproduced in chiptune format, we 80s kids didn't realize we were getting cultured :)

Speak for yourself. :P

49 minutes ago, zzip said:

I suspect classical music was used for two reasons:   

1)  those games were often designed by one or two people, and the average programmer is not a music composer.   

2)  A lot of classical music is now public domain so no royalty issues.

3) Sheet music for providing the notes readily available

4) Musical content of high quality available

5) Translates well to chip music

6) Typically doesn't need percussion voices; so, can provide a lot of harmonic depth compared to music needing percussion voices

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

3) Sheet music for providing the notes readily available

You could find the sheet music to just about anything at music stores,   All those AMS + MIDI files came from somewhere :)    But use anything from the 20th century then you risked having a sticky rights issue on your hands.

Some games had to alter their music due to this.  Frogger was affected.   The Pengo arcade game had the 1969 instrumental "Popcorn" as its theme, and had to issue a new version.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, zzip said:

That's because these days game development teams usually include somebody to compose new music for the game.

Yes, of course, but still unfortunate. There's no reason why they couldn't apply their chip-music skills to making good instruments to replicate classical music too.

20 minutes ago, zzip said:

You could find the sheet music to just about anything at music stores,   All those AMS + MIDI files came from somewhere :)    But use anything from the 20th century then you risked having a sticky rights issue on your hands.

Yeah, I already agreed on your comment about usage rights. It certainly played a role in choosing music.

You can find anything on sheet music, but two things:

1. Quality of reproducing a lot of modern music on paper is all over the board.

2. Cost of a lot of modern music is going to be higher, because rights to reproduce the music on paper has a cost; and there is often the added cost of doing the transcription, because a lot of modern music is never originally transcribed by the artists.