IGNORED

Most faithful Xevious port?

thetallguy24

OP posts in 7800 forum instead of classic gaming general so results will be skewed towards 7800.

I like both versions but the 7800 gets the edge for having more skill levels to choose from.

I wasn't asking what you're favorite version was. That would definitely skew the results. I was asking which was more faithful to the arcade version, such as sound, sprites, gameplay, etc.

I haven't had the pleasure of playing any MSX or MSX2 games. Of the versions in my library, I believe the NES release is the most faithful. No surprise, given it was ported (or at least published) by the same company that did the arcade game.

I agree, the Apple II version isn't bad at all, considering the hardware it's running on. Surprisingly less good is the C-64 version. Bleh.

Oh, and speaking of Xevious... Tempest... :D

The 7800 version might be the most faithful to the arcade, but I like the NES and Apple versions also.

People cite the angular "2D polygon" look of the background as one of the main reasons they hate the NES version, but I don't see how it's a problem, apart from being different than the arcade. I think it's kind of cool, in fact. Plus IIRC the NES version plays a little faster and more smoothly than the 7800 version (IMO).

I like the Apple version a lot too, although it's prone to slowdown and the sound is distinctly "Apple." The Commodore version was a big let-down.

Except the for Commodore version, which I don't like, I like all three of these versions.

+ 1 for the PC Engine version. Should have been released here for the TG-16. Oddly aggravating and curious which games they chose to make the U.S. cut. :mad:

None of the early Namco ports really got released here in the US. Probably licensing issues. Atari may have owned the home console rights at the time.

None of the early Namco ports really got released here in the US. Probably licensing issues. Atari may have owned the home console rights at the time.

Famicom/NES version got released here, though a bit later than in Japan. A lot of the other early JP versions were on computers that either had a limited release (MSX) or weren't released at all in the US. Most US games on TG-16 were published by Nec themselves. They published several Namco games, including Galaga 88 (under the name Galaga '90), Splatterhouse, World Court Tennis, Final Lap Twin, and Pac-Land, but I have no idea why Xevious was passed up. I find it especially odd since they even brought over obscure games like Bravoman and Ordyne.

Edited by BrianC
  • Like 1