IGNORED

Life's Reality -- Does owning a TI require a soldering iron?

Omega-TI

On the topic of TI's & soldering irons...  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a TI-99/4A?

• Yes
    • No (I'm just messing with the poll)
  2. 2. Do you own a soldering iron?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Have you ever used your soldering iron in or on your TI-99/4A (even if it was just the simple diode mod).

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...

I hope I can get at least another 20 years out of mine, because after that, if I'm not dead already, I'll probably be a that demented old fart in a wheelchair parked in a corner at the local nursing home.

I think I'm closer to being there than you, but I'm pretty sure I can fart better than you can. I've been seriously practicing for a long, long time. :-D

Just ask my kids. Quote below:

"Jeez Dad! Serisly?"

• Like 4

Gonna have to read up on this diode mod thing. Never heard of it until now!

Refurbish and restore arcade and pinball machines (so yes, own an iron and a gun), but have never needed either one for any of my TI systems all these years. Not even when I had a PEB box! Fan wasn't an issue, besides, probably would have used wire nuts anyway. :lol:

No doubt I'm not as hardcore a user as some/most of you. :)

Hey, speaking of soldering irons and what-not, does anyone have a list handy of electrolytic capacitors in the 4A?

In the Amateur Radio Community, there were guys who put together "Refurbishing Kits" for the more popular older radios. I guess the failure rate on the TI is still so low that it's not economically viable for anyone to buy, store and wait to sell a packet of assorted capacitors. When the time does come sourcing these things is going to be a drag, so yes, a list would come in real hand for when needed.

GOOD IDEA!

Eventually I will put together such a list. From Mainbyte, it looks like the electrolytic caps in the firehose connector and PEB card are 22uF. If the caps are all the same, which I figure is possible but not probable, then a re-cap kit for the TI will be REALLY easy to do.