IGNORED

Next Gen SmashTV or Robotron?

Miqorz

Also Robotron 64 for the Nintendo 64, which made the best use of two thumbsticks on two separate controllers for double-fisted action...way better than Midway's conversion of Robotron 2084 in their Greatest Arcade Hits(?) collection for the same system. (Like they couldn't have the original game play with the same dual controller option. Go figure!)

I remember a lot of people dissing Robotron 64, but I rather like it. It's graphics aren't exception (in fact, they're fairly poor by N64 standards), but the gameplay is there, the control is good, there's some nice added features (for some reason, I really like the octagonal levels), and the music is totally addictive. The music alone just screams "Video Game"... in fact, they even used it in a video game sequence in Futurama!

--Zero

I've been playing dual stick Robotron and Smash TV for some time now. I use the PSX releases of Arcade's Greatest Hits: Williams Collection and Arcade Party Pack. You can do it on either a PSX/PSone or a PS2. If you use a third-party controller like a Madcatz Dual Force and turn the analog off, then the left stick replicates the d-pad and the right stick replicates the face buttons. Voila! Dual stick control.

It's called Williams Arcade Greatest Hits on the SNES, and frankly as far as controls are concerned, it's just as bad as trying to play Smash TV with the A, B, X, and Y buttons directing your firing instead of a second control stick. Same problem, and Midway only reproduced the same error with their Greatest Arcade Hits for the Nintendo 64 version of Robotron 2084.