IGNORED

Magellan Editing (Baby Steps)

Opry99er

Alright... Magellan is definitely my favorite tool for the TI. I started using it in 2010 and have downloaded almost every iteration of it since it's creation.

I have to say, Rasmus--- you have truly improved this program in so many ways... Thank you for all you have done for our computer community... from your tools to your cartridge games. You have truly been an inspiration to me, as I'm sure you have to many other guys on here.

Back to Magellan.

I need to do a few things to one of my .mag files. It was created from one of the first releases, but works very nicely in the newest release--- perfectly backwards-compatible.

I am trying to do the following for my current XB project:

magellanpic_zpspua9uyzq.jpg

I need to swap char set 14 with char set 10 while maintaining the map tiles in their current placement. The reason for my needing this is that I am trying to create a way to have a GCHAR routine that needs to only account for ONE check. If my two "navigable" character sets are together, I can simply check for "IF X<CHARSET(10) THEN TILE IS NAVIGABLE" (pseudo, of course)

Is there a way to do this, or do I need to re-draw the map after changing up all my tiles? It's no big deal if that's the case... might even come up with a better map. But for time-saving purposes, I am hoping for a quick fix temporarily.

***I have some other questions that I will get to when the time arises... Now that my development is back on track and my code is tidy and legible again, I'll be using Magellan all the time.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 2

Okay, learning here... I manually replaced all the characters one by one and then changed background and foreground color.... Was able to verify that all were swapped accurately by using the "examine" feature and running all over the map with the mouse. Looks like nothing from CHARSET 14 is anywhere on the map now. That is GREAT!

Lot of new features on this version of Magellan. I am really enjoying it so far.

Next question: (hopefully I can answer THIS one myself too)

Can I "break out" or "copy" a section of the map for individual editing?

For instance, in this large map that scrolls from section to section (once the Player Character hits the edge of the viewport--Zelda-style) I have portions of the map that the character can reach once the screen scrolls that become impassable... non-navigable. By breaking out the map into sections, I would have the ability to do more focused editing which would eliminate that possibility. I can do trial and error with the game engine, but exporting and transferring the mapdata into my custom data file and then running the program takes a bit of time.

I CAN do this if I need to, but it would be nice if I didn't have to. :)

Even having the ability to highlight and focus ONLY on one segment, go segment by segment, would be helpful.

magellanpic_zpsszqcyxmf.jpg

• Like 1

I've made a workaround... Eliminated off-screen paths, except for one (and I blocked that one off with an impassable character for now)

I was planning to do this anyway, and the impassable character can just be a portal to the next world (once all quest tasks and items have been achieved and collected).

Need to look at my loader code to try and remember how the data was exported from Magellan previously and try and retrace my steps.

To swap the characters I think you could have used the "Replace Characters" tool. It's a bit difficult to understand how it works, but you generally have to check all the options. I added the option to repeat for subsequent characters.

You can create new, smaller maps and use the Clone Region tool to copy a section of the main map. Not particularly relevant to this, but if you want to make multiple copies you can hold down Shift while you paste. This is also a feature I added that I have used a lot.

Need to get character fonts from one .mag file and import them to another.... Going to try using "Import?" But I don't want to transfer any other tiles... Just uppercase letters and numbers.... I'll play around with it and read the Magellan thread to see if there's a solution.

Export from one .mag and attempting to Import it into another works perfectly, but unfortunately it wipes out my character sets outside of the standard alphanumerics.

There's probably a very simple solution here, outside of copying and pasting 40 or so hex strings between .mag files. I may be missing something completely obvious here.

Rubber duck = you have a rubber duck (or inanimate object) on your desk and you ask it questions. Just saying it makes you think slightly different and you answer your question that you just asked... W/o asking anyone.

:)

Edited by unhuman
  • Like 1

Rubber duck = you have a rubber duck (or inanimate object) on your desk and you ask it questions. Just saying it makes you think slightly different and you answer your question that you just asked... W/o asking anyone.

:)

Huh.. my old coding team and I used to do that to each other all the time, but I never thought of trying it with a toy.

Trixie, you are now my rubber duck. Hope you like code. <nods>

Clone region... Gotcha. I hadnt found that yet, but I will look now. That will help significantly.

After individually drawing things on my first screen I learned the power of clone ;) Here's a sample of something repetitive I was working on. I was drawing all the details for each level individually until I learned clone worked for more than one character at a time!

post-25764-0-12586400-1427526426_thumb.png

• Like 3

After individually drawing things on my first screen I learned the power of clone ;) Here's a sample of something repetitive I was working on. I was drawing all the details for each level individually until I learned clone worked for more than one character at a time!

attachicon.gifBuild1.PNG

Somehow this reminds me about a game I played long time ago :-D

118124214329.png