IGNORED

What system do you consider retro?

Yeah I think that retro is being misused here as it usually is.

Retro means imitating style of the recent past.

So no old game systems themselves would be retro. Homebrews games would be a prime example of retro items, they are current products imitating the style of the recent past.

Or maybe steam games that are made to look like 8 bit games etc.

For what we are talking about I think classic or vintage would apply better.

Classic items are generally 25 years old, and that seems appropriate to achieve that feel.

So the cutoff time is constantly changing as time passes and is relative of course to the person's age as well.

For me personally it will always feel like it's cart systems and earlier.

But from a perspective of passing time even ps1 and GameCube have hit that point of nostalgia now even.

Antique items are generally accepted to be 100 years old....so we still have a way to go for any antique video games :)

• Like 4

Yeah I think that retro is being misused here as it usually is.

Retro means imitating style of the recent past.

So no old game systems themselves would be retro. Homebrews games would be a prime example of retro items, they are current products imitating the style of the recent past.

Or maybe steam games that are made to look like 8 bit games etc.

For what we are talking about I think classic or vintage would apply better.

Classic items are generally 25 years old, and that seems appropriate to achieve that feel.

So the cutoff time is constantly changing as time passes and is relative of course to the person's age as well.

For me personally it will always feel like it's cart systems and earlier.

But from a perspective of passing time even ps1 and GameCube have hit that point of nostalgia now even.

Antique items are generally accepted to be 100 years old....so we still have a way to go for any antique video games :)

Thank you. But no one is reading what you or I am saying, so it's rather irrelevant.

• Like 1

Thank you. But no one is reading what you or I am saying, so it's rather irrelevant.

Nah, we get it. At least I do. Technically I agree the word "retro" means imitating something of the recent past.

Hence "Retro Gaming" is playing the old-school games and systems. And something like the Flashback is retro by the more literal definition.

But in reality we use the term for actually old stuff too, which is used in the "imitating of the past". For example -- a "Retro Night" at a dance club might include dancing to the music of the recent past; and dressing in the styles of the recent past. But the clothes and music used in the process would also be called "retro", even though they are the actual music and clothes, not imiations.

I guess to get really techical, you could say the actual old consoles themselves aren't retro, but just outdated technology and old parts. But if you actually play them currently, using them as part of an "imitation of the past", then they are "retro".

Of course, that's completely unrelated to the OP's question, no one had any problem understanding what was meant by retro in that context.

• Like 1

Nah, we get it. At least I do. Technically I agree the word "retro" means imitating something of the recent past.

Hence "Retro Gaming" is playing the old-school games and systems. And something like the Flashback is retro by the more literal definition.

But in reality we use the term for actually old stuff too, which is used in the "imitating of the past". For example -- a "Retro Night" at a dance club might include dancing to the music of the recent past; and dressing in the styles of the recent past. But the clothes and music used in the process would also be called "retro", even though they are the actual music and clothes, not imiations.

I guess to get really techical, you could say the actual old consoles themselves aren't retro, but just outdated technology and old parts. But if you actually play them currently, using them as part of an "imitation of the past", then they are "retro".

Of course, that's completely unrelated to the OP's question, no one had any problem understanding what was meant by retro in that context.

But his question is one of irrelevance as well. "At what point do you think outdated consoles are fashionable?" Yet plenty of people are taking it as "At what point do you think console technology creates a dividing line between "classic" and "modern", or "at what point do you think consoles become outdated".

It's a word full of nuance and everyone is answering a different question.

• Like 2

NES and prior ...ie; anything 8 bit is definitely retro to me IMHO.

I guess 16 bit would be too at this point, since they're over the 20 year mark.

Not sure I'm ready to call any of the 32 bit systems 'retro' yet but they are getting pretty damn close I suppose. :)

So the Atari Jaguar, Amiga CD32, PC-FX, FM towns Marty, and the Apple Pippin are modern?

Maybe one day we come to the point where technology is no longer relevant.

Computers and automobiles have become that way for me. Besides their styling, I no longer care what's under the hood. So long as I enjoy the ride and shit actually works when you want to use it. ;)