IGNORED

?s about first version(?) CoCo joysticks

BassGuitari

To my knowledge, the earliest version of the Color Computer joystick had a tapered metal stick that was a bit thicker than those of later versions (long skinny metal and short black plastic). The cords were also gray instead of black. As seen in a Radio Shack catalog:

cat-rs7-acc-cc-joystick.jpg

Does anyone have any information about how their performance rates compared to later versions of the CoCo joystick, or their rarity and how much I could expect to have to pay for one?

I had a set of these. They had dead spots in a few places. Very cheap pots. They still worked for games that required analog joysticks.
The deluxe joysticks were the best option for analog sticks though.
BTW, I've had the Wico red stick analog joystick and it's more durable but it isn't any better.
If you want to play most arcade games you were better off buying or building a digital joystick adapter.

• Like 2

BTW, I've had the Wico red stick analog joystick and it's more durable but it isn't any better.

Wico made a Color Computer joystick? I never knew that.

I've got a Tandy Deluxe and it is the best by a wide margin (those were made by Kraft, right?). I like collecting the early CoCo stuff, though, hence my interest in these joysticks. :)

Do Tano Dragon joysticks work on a CoCo? There are a few interesting looking controllers for the Dragon. If you look on various European Ebay sites, you'll see some, but the with the shipping costs it would be nice to know if they are fully compatible?

I use a Tandy deluxe stick, if I don't use the Wico/Atari combo, and I like the deluxe joystick a lot.

Do Tano Dragon joysticks work on a CoCo? There are a few interesting looking controllers for the Dragon. If you look on various European Ebay sites, you'll see some, but the with the shipping costs it would be nice to know if they are fully compatible?

I use a Tandy deluxe stick, if I don't use the Wico/Atari combo, and I like the deluxe joystick a lot.

They should, the joystick ports are the same.

Only issue I have had with CoCo joysticks are that it seems the earlier ones had a thinner, more tapered plastic sleeve around the connector end. Those work great on all the CoCos, but the later ones did away with that taper, making them hard to get plugged into a CoCo 1.