IGNORED

Majesty Of Sprites - Plus/4

JamesD

"Majesty Of Sprites is a hardcoding experiment under the pretences of a no scrolling Giana Sisters' like game running in multicolor bitmap, full of software sprites, gorgeous backgrounds, evil jumps to perform and diamonds and hearts to collect! Bauknecht has shown this preview version at Revision, reaching the 4th place in the generic Game Developing competition. It allows you to play 12 different and very big screens, divided in 6 'worlds' of two screens each. Bitmap sprites look very Atari-ish, having two assigned color only, setting the code free to assign a very large variety of colours any 4x8 (8x8) box (look at the very last screens, they're incredibile), moreover allowing very extensive animation all around. The enemies attack in different movements, and some shoot at you. What you loose in all this, is the scrolling.
majesty_of_sprites.gif
This version doesn't miss even an intro, a jolly title screen that doesn't get shame to show its little colour clashes in the sides, an ending and a gorgeous vanity board with multicolor bubbles versus hires 2x2 characters that saves your scores!"

• Like 3

Cool, but wouldn't it be possible to make a hard scroll of one or two full characters at a time, rather than half the screen? It took me a while to get used to that kind of view. Or perhaps so much is software generated that it'd slow down the game too much if the screen had to be redrawn more often.

Cool, but wouldn't it be possible to make a hard scroll of one or two full characters at a time, rather than half the screen? It took me a while to get used to that kind of view. Or perhaps so much is software generated that it'd slow down the game too much if the screen had to be redrawn more often.

It's definitely possible, I've seen another game that scrolled the full screen and kept the character centered while your character moved.

It's just how they chose to do it.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see something a little more like this. Fluid background movement and I like colors a little better.

http://www.knights-of-bytes.com/new-basic-moves-for-sam

Really damn impressed. I cannot recall anything so fluid on the Commodore 64 from way-back.

I also noticed Metal Dust for the SuperCPU. No idea how many were made, but seeing one on eBay for around $900 makes me think that might be a small audience. Probably very fun to code for, though.

• 3 months later...