IGNORED

Best Day of My Life. :)

Opry99er

My aunt had a PCjr. My baby cousin (who has two kids of her own, now) was around four or so. I showed her some of the programs I was writing on my SX64 I brought when I visited. She decided on her own to boot up into BASIC on the PCjr. She asked me the commands to do a couple of things. Next thing I knew, she was showing me a program which printed her name repeatedly in every color the computer could produce. Simple, sure, but pretty amazing I thought for a four year-old's first program with no coaching what-so-ever.

I used to baby sit a friend's daughter sometimes and she loved to play on the TI. in particular she enjoyed the educational games. It is not surprising to me that she has excelled in her academics and today has a full-ride through nursing school. I am proud to have been part of her education growing up.

A couple of Christmases ago I brought my TI rig with my newly acquired MBX to my parents' place. My two youngest cousins were there and played on the TI pretty much the whole time. They still bring it up today and I think I will do again this Christmas.

The son of a colleague was starting into programming a few years back while he was in high school. He was going to do Perl for websites and asked me what I thought. I told him in my opinion, Perl is a amazingly powerful, there is a call for it, and he should learn it, but for websites he might do better with PHP. I gave him access to the source code of a couple of projects I did for classes. He took off like gang busters, programming, doing websites, running servers for his dad. Now he is off to college and has decided the he is going to take his school's equivalent to my degree in Computer Criminology and do software development as a minor.

Long ago before my ex-fiance went bat-shit crazy, I taught her daughter (our daughter) a little on my TI and Commodore 64, and built an Amiga 1000 system for her with some educational games and AmigaBasic for programming. She never got it, but she remembered. She is going back to school this summer for computer science primer while she decides if she is going to do computers or health care.

I like to think that every little nudge I make, every time I share my passion with someone, especially the young'ins who seem to get as excited about these things as I do, the experience has a lasting effect on them. Now, I certainly cannot take credit for how they turn out, just like to know that somewhere in their minds those memories a part of a foundation. I believe it is part of our duty, from one generation to the next. The gift of knowledge and experience is the best thing we can give.

• Like 1

Well said, CS1. We are seriously considering home schooling him next year because he is bored and defeated at school. He brings home lists of sight words every week amd this week, "I" is a sight word......

My son is halfway through the Hobbit and he has "I" as a sight word....

He has been reading chapter books for over a year, and he has "I" and "the" as sight words... The kid writes illustrated walkthroughs of his Wii games, has a new found love for actual "computing" and he is learning in school how to count to 10.

Count to ten... If you notice in the video, he numbers his lines by 5s. In order, into the 200-300 range. We have taught him basic multiplication tables at home, and he loses play-time at school for writing outside the margins of his workbook. She didnt read what he wrote in the margins... It was a description of a picture on the page and how he saw something similar (actually used that word) over Spring Break.

And "I" is his 'to learn' sight word of the week.

Schools are dumbing down our kids... I refuse to let his brain go to waste.

• Like 4

I will most likely home school. I have been working with family and friends with the new school curriculum and I am agog; they are for good reason disgusted and frustrated. I have offered myself as a resource for all of them. I remember my school years and I was accelerated and in the gifted program. I remember much of the details of these programs and actually, thanks to my mother, have almost all of the material from the programs.

The Hobbit is a great book! I first read it in second grade and drew a detailed map of Middle Earth as a project for my gifted class (sadly one article which has not survived, or it is lost in the attic.) After he finishes the series he should start on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy :)

Teach your children well. TAKE IT AWAY, RALPH!

• Like 1

It is unfortunate you aren't close to this area, Owen. I strongly suspect that your boy and my youngest would get along famously. He's been reading since just before his third birthday (taught himself by watching his brother), Spent the day at the last Chicago Faire helping Tim Tesch assemble and disassemble his Geneve case, and had to explain to his teacher that one of the words he used in his list of words containing the -ine chunk really WAS a word (he told her it was "tine, as in the tines of a fork"). She figured out he needed to be in an accelerated class pretty early this year, so he's been getting just enough of that type of attention not to get too bored. He's reading a nice book called Wonder right now, which is normally for fourth or fifth graders. One of my relatives was talking about something or other at a funeral earlier this year and he broke into the conversation with the opening: I've been researching THAT on the Internet." He went on to explain the results of his research for something like 20 minutes--using vocabulary that a lot of high school students wouldn't understand. . .

It warms my heart to see you have such a gift in your house--and that you cherish him for what he is. Letting a child be the best child he or she can be is the most precious gift we can give our children--and you have that in spades! :) :) :)

yes Owen, I am sure, this will be a great start, with enthusiasm. The right way of starting things.

The right way to start into live, growing up....with the right support from you :)

Regarding your lemon stand, I can remember, as small kids, we made that, selling small things to neigbours,

having our own small "shop on a blanket", right next to the street. This was our lemon stand. :)

This was done with many enthusiasm. and it pushed us forward.

OK, some time later, the (home-)computer-era began, and with it there came up another thing with this big enthusiasm.

As you can see that in your sons eyes, that it is. An it is very great, for him, for us all, that he can start with the TI-99/4A,

as many of us did in childhood, and this mostly was a well-protected childhood in this cases, with this possibilities given, I think.

I don´t want to think about most kids today, parents not taking care at all, just sitting them in front of TV, or in front of hectic games,

not showing whats behind, not explaining whats going on, what are the possibilities of that, and and and. Just sitting them there,

to get them busy. But for sure, you will explain him every bit :) , and your son maybe becomes a great coder, if he explores that,

and if that is in his mind, what I assume. And he seems to be very nosy to the computer, yeah thrilled, so this can go its way.

I see this enthusiasm in his eyes, the pleasure, and for sure, nevertheless if he would be going to follow other interests in his later life,

and he will do it with this engagement, and that seems to be the most important way of doing things, and living.

yes, Owen, you can be called very lucky for all of that

(I hope, I found the right words with the rights translations :)

best wishes

schmitzi

post-41141-0-62420100-1428498460_thumb.jpg

post-41141-0-35412000-1428498467_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice video, but not surprising to me. I have two kids, one 6 year old and one 9 year old and I would have expected them to find the 4a boring in the extrem, but-the both love the machine, the games, the educational modules and the immediacy of the whole setup.

Warmed my heart to hear my daughter telling me that the Parker Brothers Frogger module was better than her Nintendo DS games!!!!

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

A little update. The boy is programming on the real gear now... He is just about halfway through the Beginner's BASIC manual.

His favorite thing to do right now with code is hilarious INPUT prompts and subsequent responses. For instance, here is his latest:

100 CALL CLEAR

110 INPUT "HOW MANY DUMPS DID YOU TAKE":DUMP

115 CALL CLEAR

120 PRINT DUMP

130 PRINT

140 PRINT "WOW, THAT IS ALOT OF DUMPS!"

150 END

So.... That is where we are. :) We will work to harness his passion into something a little more refined, but for now, I think it is hilarious. :)

• Like 5

He definitely needs to sit down and have some good programming fun with my youngest--he keeps doing somewhat simpler things with his TI, but he also keeps plugging away at it. You'll have yours switching over to Forth or Assembler before you know it. . .and I will definitely have to show the DUMP program to mine--he'll get a real kick out of that one!