IGNORED

32k memory x 2

budz2355

I paid $50 shipped. I do have gazoo's XB 2.7 suite with all these utilities I have no idea what they do. Is there any amount of technical wizardry I can use there to make this into a 32k RAM disk? Or utilize the 64k?

Ugh... I think the short answer is yes, I am a moron.

• Like 2

And for the 32K insanity plea--I will soon have another sidecar 32K, this time one designed in Italy. I finally found out what RAM chips belong in the somewhat mangled one I bought many years ago (TMS4532s, but since those are just downrated TMS4164s with only one functional 32K bank, I can put TMS4164s in and it should work--once I repair the other damage to the board). That should bring me up to about 15 different 32K devices. . .

• Like 3

So here is how I have it set up. With everything powered on I tested the speech synthesize, PEB, disk 1, disk 2. Everything seems to work. I also ran a SIZE test with just the external 32k hooked up and it is giving me 24K to the program so that is great!

My question is:

Do I have to have my configuration in this order? It seems that if I don't power on the external 32k that anything I have plugged into the right of it won't work. Also do I need to have the speech synthesizer first?

I have an idea...since I have this external 32k, now I can remove the internal 32k card to make room for another PEB card right?

New Setup

• Like 2

I have an idea...since I have this external 32k, now I can remove the internal 32k card to make room for another PEB card right?

Yes, you can remove the internal 32K card to make room for other cards, there is no benefit from running two 32K cards. Are you getting that low on space already?

I'll probably eventually go with the Tursi Method of 32K expansion [TM] with the 32K inside the console when the time comes. I'm not comfortable will three separate connections between the console and P-Box.

Are you getting that low on space already?

I'll probably eventually go with the Tursi Method of 32K expansion [TM] with the 32K inside the console when the time comes. I'm not comfortable will three separate connections between the console and P-Box.

Ha no! I have 4 slots open and if I remove the 32k card I will have 5 open slots. I am just trying to justify buying the external 32k lol.

As for the other, I am still on the fence about modding my TI. I am pretty much running all original stuff except for the DSK2 enclosure. However, since I bought that lantronix UDS-10.... don't know if that counts, but I really want to connect to some BBSes.

So with 5 open slots what would you recommend? I would LOVE a CorComp Triple Tech card and a Horizon RAMdisk. I guess that still leaves me with 3 empty slots? 3 more RAMdisks?

So with 5 open slots what would you recommend? I would LOVE a CorComp Triple Tech card and a Horizon RAMdisk. I guess that still leaves me with 3 empty slots? 3 more RAMdisks?

HA! Good freaking luck on getting a Triple Tech Card! It took over a year and a half to get mine, and that was after I gave up all hope. If not for the kind soul here in the forum who thought of me when he came across it, I'd probably still be without one.

If I were to recommend anything... get on the reserve list for one of Greg's new "In-The-Box" speech interface units, that way you can eliminate one of those connections between your console and P-Box and clean things up a little.

HA! Good freaking luck on getting a Triple Tech Card! It took over a year and a half to get mine, and that was after I gave up all hope. If not for the kind soul here in the forum who thought of me when he came across it, I'd probably still be without one.

If I were to recommend anything... get on the reserve list for one of Greg's new "In-The-Box" speech interface units, that way you can eliminate one of those connections between your console and P-Box and clean things up a little.

That has got to be the most depressing thing I've heard all day :_(

I guess the better question is are there ANY ti-99/4a compatible cards for sale...anywhere?? Some secret magical website that has a bunch of 30 year old NOS? ...ugh.

I have bare boards for the original TI 128K card that I cloned, I just sold the last of the first batch of PEB Extender Boards and the Prototyping Boards I designed, I'll be making some Quest RAM Disk cards pretty soon, followed by a Myarc FDC clone and a new layout for the Nouspikel IDE board. There are new boards out there. I'm also still trying to figure out where the bugs crept into the Nouspikel HyperAMS layout, as once that is untangled there will be really nice AMS boards in circulation again. Even if I don't figure out what's wrong with that one, I'll do a run of the standard AMS board just to get it into circulation. I've been working on a couple of 99/8 boards too, so there are definitely new boards available (but they are mostly build-them-yourself thingies).

• Like 4

I have bare boards for the original TI 128K card that I cloned, I just sold the last of the first batch of PEB Extender Boards and the Prototyping Boards I designed, I'll be making some Quest RAM Disk cards pretty soon, followed by a Myarc FDC clone and a new layout for the Nouspikel IDE board. There are new boards out there. I'm also still trying to figure out where the bugs crept into the Nouspikel HyperAMS layout, as once that is untangled there will be really nice AMS boards in circulation again. Even if I don't figure out what's wrong with that one, I'll do a run of the standard AMS board just to get it into circulation. I've been working on a couple of 99/8 boards too, so there are definitely new boards available (but they are mostly build-them-yourself thingies).

Well since I have kind of blown my budget recently, I won't be looking to buy any today. However.... If any of these boards come for sale, I am sure there will be a post on these forums somewhere? If not put me down the non-build-them-yourself variety. I have 5 slots to fill in my PEB so do your worst! :)

While I can definitely appreciate people having an interest in building circuit boards and computer components, my interest lies in finding old discarded relics and giving them new life, seeing what was possible with the actual period hardware (or close to it). If reproductions are made that are clones (as you said), this is pretty cool too because it maintains the retro aspect of the machine and the fun in it (for me personally). It's not just shoving a PS4 in a NES shell and saying "holy crap, new NES mod it's amazeballs!"

So yea... link me to any type of functioning board available if you would and I would be very grateful. (and have tons of questions after of course)

• 1 month later...

Mission accomplished :) now to try that clock software link you posted....

• Like 1

That reminds me I need a parts list for that 128k card ;)