IGNORED

HSC12 Round 6: Blue Max

Nice - you should post that on the Quote of the Day thread on the main A8 forum :thumbsup:

anyone noticed sometimes beeps and L flashes when landing - perhaps too long before I pressed fire?

Anyone got a better link to the manual/more info?

L flashes because you're one landing away from the city.

It's to warn you that you'd better make sure you fuel up and have at least a few bombs. The city level seems to be longer than any other.

Edited by Tickled_Pink

The manual (posted above) is a very good read - I did wonder about those flashing planes and red boats/vehicles; they score a lot of points so I was going for them anyway! Been to the final stage a couple of times but seem to get blown to pieces before I've worked it out... top players see the table for details of the Blue Max Ranking Bonus - up to 4 points available here, 1 for each class...

Better start assembling the next poll !

I spent a bit of time yesterday trying to figure out how to get Blue Max status. I thought it might be the equivalent of a fighter ace so started paying more attention to shooting down enemy aircraft. I crashed into the last target in the city because AGAIN it didn't drop the bomb on command. But after getting another Class 1 Air Cadet from it, I don't think that's the answer.

On one occasion I went straight from the normal stage to the 'airfield' stage at the first attempt. So I'm wondering if that's it - it depends on how quickly you progress through the game?

• Like 1

Heh! 100 goes later and I'm getting the hang of it!

Helped a lot when I ditched the buggy file versions I was using and played the original disk - might be worth using the ATR version for this one (from atarionline.pl) if you see anything strange at all on the file versions.

post-19705-0-37643600-1429466620_thumb.jpg

6,080 Air Cadet Class 1

post-19705-0-28328700-1429466635_thumb.jpg

then 3 hours later and after getting over the shock of why the instrument panel was flashing green - 10,910 Flying Tiger Class 1 no less - I'm assuming this sits nicely between Squadron Leader and Blue Max :grin:

post-19705-0-77057700-1429466628_thumb.jpg

I got on a lot better taking out more guns and using the straffing more on the later stages.

Round 7 Poll OPEN

• Like 2

Helped a lot when I ditched the buggy file versions I was using and played the original disk - might be worth using the ATR version for this one (from atarionline.pl) if you see anything strange at all on the file versions.

[...]

3 hours later and after getting over the shock of why the instrument panel was flashing green - 10,910 Flying Tiger Class 1 no less - I'm assuming this sits nicely between Squadron Leader and Blue Max :grin:

Since I'm running into the not-bombing-when-bombing-isn't-damaged, I'll try the ATR. These are quite a few of them. Which one do you suggest? Or, I guess I could just avoid the whole situation and play the cart under emulation. Are there any differences between the 1987 cartridge the 1983 disk/cassette release?

Congrats on your score of 10K+. I'm still stuck at my lower score, which I'm finding shocking, since I've put in quite a few games (though not three-hours worth of gametime).

5740 Flying Tiger Class 1 NTSC

In first passage over the city I bombed all three targets.

So I was pretty useless here and took several passes to get all the targets - not intentionally (the 3rd one was on it's own on a run)... we had the same rank and class so it didn't seem to be penalised. I'll amend the scoring to be just by rank.

Since I'm running into the not-bombing-when-bombing-isn't-damaged, I'll try the ATR. These are quite a few of them. Which one do you suggest? Or, I guess I could just avoid the whole situation and play the cart under emulation. Are there any differences between the 1987 cartridge the 1983 disk/cassette release?

Congrats on your score of 10K+. I'm still stuck at my lower score, which I'm finding shocking, since I've put in quite a few games (though not three-hours worth of gametime).

How do you bomb? Do you play with reversed controls?

Like I said I DO and hold fire then push forward until I hear the sound - if you move diagonally by accident it may stop this?

I'm using my original Blue Max disk so you'll have to check out the ATRs - the file versions may be ok but perhaps not from the mydos/mypicodos menu I was using?

p.s. that 3 hours was just today!!!

So I was pretty useless here and took several passes to get all the targets - not intentionally (the 3rd one was on it's own on a run)... we had the same rank and class so it didn't seem to be penalised. I'll amend the scoring to be just by rank.

Like I said I DO and hold fire then push forward until I hear the sound - if you move diagonally by accident it may stop this?

I'm using my original Blue Max disk so you'll have to check out the ATRs - the file versions may be ok but perhaps not from the mydos/mypicodos menu I was using?

p.s. that 3 hours was just today!!!

Which version of the disk do you have? Like I said, I used to have this problem on real hardware and wasn't aware there were several versions released during its lifetime. If you have one of the later releases, maybe they patched it.

I'd use it as well if I could figure out how to turn off BASIC in Altirra.

Edit: Never mind. Using the ROM version and that seems to have been patched to fix the bomb dropping issue. Still, got 10620 and only got Class 1 Squadron Leader. Gah!

Edited by Tickled_Pink

Basic? It is easy, press and keep pressed F2 and F4 (start ant option) on your PC than press Shift (the one for upper case) and F5 (Reset). You should hear beep, then press Enter or Space and it should load from CAS as on normal Atari :)

Edited by firestorm

Yes, I use reverse controls. For me, I can't play with regular controls. It is possible that I'm pressing diagonal, but I try my best to avoid this, as I know it's possible to miss bombing if you do. Since "Tickeled_Pink" says the ROM version of "Blue Max" fixes the bombing problem, then I'll try that under Altirra-- but I sure will miss playing it on the real thing. I wish I hadn't got rid of this cart now-- as I like the game... and I never thought that that would happen. BTW, is there a PAL version of "Blue Max," or are you PAL folks stuck playing a slower, easier, no-hard-at-all, beat-my-score version of the NTSC game?

If you have the original "Blue Max" disk, then maybe you can dump it to, as it's not on AtariMania.

Latest Tables - hope the new scoring seems fair & gives everyone a chance to make some points!

BLUE MAX - Rankings Count
Blue Maxes - 12pts + Bonus 1pt per class

Flying Tigers 11pts +1pt for Class 1

therealbountybob (p) Class 1 10,910 12pts

firestorm (n) Class 1 5,740 12pts

Squadron Leaders 9pts +1pt for Class 1

Tickled_Pink (p) Class 2 9,740 9pts

McKong (p) Class 2 8,840 9pts

Air Cadets 5-8pts based on class

adam242 (n) Class 1 5,670 8pts
playermissile (n) Class 1 6,350 8pts
JK40001 (p) Class 2 3,500 7pts
SHiNjide (p) Class 3 2,620 6pts
spookt (p) Class 4 1,060 5pts

Runway Sweepers 1-4pts based on class

Sleepy (p) Class 1 1,350 4pts
Sikor (p) Class 1 450 4pts

akator (n) Class 2 680 3pts
ballyalley (n) Class 3? 1,530 2pts
roadrunner (n) Class 3 570 2pts
jblenkle (n) Class 3 400 2pts
LidLikesIntellivision(n) Class 3 340 2pts
---------------------------------------------

Bonus Points for this round:

Highest score - currently Tickled_Pink 13,430

(not necessarily made with the highest rank above)

First player to complete the mission - Tickled_Pink 1pt

First player to rank Blue Max - 1pt

Round 7 Poll OPEN