IGNORED

Cassette cases as storage method

elmillortoni

OK after 30 minutes of trying to fathom how GIMP works, and this is quite a crude effort with not the best print quality, here is a rough Atari Lynx Battlezone 2000 in cassette box.

I hope you like it or at least see what I was trying to replicate.

Rgds

BadPricey

Wow, BadPricey, really nice work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I definitely think it's a good solution for loose carts, it worths give it a try.

I use soft cassette boxes, you know, those like VHS cases but sized for cassette tapes. The boxes are rare, expensive and difficult to locate nowadays but they are cute with a "70's computerized style" like no other. All the artworks are vectors but raster images for original illustration, snapshots and card shot. Inside I put a little foam sheet with rounded corners to fix the card by pressure. Final result is highly usable and marvelous to flaunt. ^c-

post-42170-0-50294900-1429794242_thumb.jpg

post-42170-0-57707300-1429794249_thumb.jpg

post-42170-0-90062700-1429794256_thumb.jpg

post-42170-0-10206900-1429794270_thumb.jpg

post-42170-0-88816200-1429794277_thumb.jpg

Edited by STAR
  • Like 5

I use soft cassette boxes, you know, those like VHS cases but sized for cassette tapes. The boxes are rare, expensive and difficult to locate nowadays but they are cute with a "70's computerized style" like no other. All the artworks are vectors but raster images for original illustration, snapshots and card shot. Inside I put a little foam sheet with rounded corners to fix the card by pressure. Final result is highly usable and marvelous to flaunt. ^c-

Swish! I love it.

I use soft cassette boxes, you know, those like VHS cases but sized for cassette tapes.

You Sir, are a genius! Hats off! *Takes deep bow* I know exactly which ones you mean because they are my favourite C64 cassette cases! :)

The boxes are rare, expensive and difficult to locate nowadays but they are cute with a "70's computerized style" like no other. All the artworks are vectors but raster images for original illustration, snapshots and card shot. Inside I put a little foam sheet with rounded corners to fix the card by pressure. Final result is highly usable and marvelous to flaunt. ^c-

Rare they are! While the first game i ever owned (Critical Mass - didn't have a C64 but bought it of my best friend because i was lost in awe of the cover-art) came in one, and a few decades later i only acquired about 4-5 more games in these cases. Only thing is, there are a few different size (width) variants - have you come across that?

Also, would you be willing to share that awesome artwork you have for these? Oh, and very nice touch with the cart pic on the front cover bottom ;)

Sorry. I think something is wrong with the reply/quote. My apologies.

--

Only thing is, there are a few different size (width) variants - have you come across that?

I know two or three variants. One is the used for 'They Sold One Million' compilation for C=64, Speccy and CPC I think. Another one is a model used for Dragon computer video games, more slim and less resistant. Then there were a few variants according the manufacturer.

Also, would you be willing to share that awesome artwork you have for these?

Sure. It will be my pleasure to make any design for the game you need and to share. I can customize them for cassette jewel-case style box if you want or you need, in fact I'm the mad doctor who did the solid state 'Vega Solaris' edition for Retrogames magazine spanish edition, here you may see some shots.

Oh, and very nice touch with the cart pic on the front cover bottom

That is a silly anticipation. What if you have a curved-lip and a ridged card variation without its boxes? ^c- Edited by STAR

Here is a possible supplier of these cases.

Soft Poly Case CLCP £0.24

http://www.avcom.co.uk/cassettes.htm

Cheers

Thank you very much but not. These cases are like you can see in the attachment. It is like the DAT cases, no transparency and a bit difficult to put an inlay.

By the way the cases used in recent developments -Relief Pitcher, Solitaire!, Hotdog...- are nice but I presume they must be no cheap, ain't? I don't known its price nor where to buy.

I think that our goal is to take advantage for old and unused/recicled cases like the GameBoy, cassette jewel-cases and so. I mean old card games, old-style game cases. ^c^

post-42170-0-49681300-1429839796_thumb.jpg

Dude this is awesome! If anyone can track down a vendor of these I am down for doing up my whole collection in this style

The clear plastic cases are certainly more plentiful. The other challenge is that someone has to edit all the art to fit this format of case...

Edited by travistouchdown

Dude this is awesome! If anyone can track down a vendor of these I am down for doing up my whole collection in this style

As you wish: http://www.tapeline.info/v2/single-black-presentation-case.html

Priced 2,45 pounds, $4 or 4 euro around + S&H.

But there are about 80 regular Atari games -> 80 x $4 = $320. Ouch!

The clear plastic cases are certainly more plentiful. The other challenge is that someone has to edit all the art to fit this format of case...

I think that's not a problem. If you have all the separate elements -cover illustration, Lynx logo, Lynx background, custom snapshots...- it's easy to mount any design from a pattern. If all of you require them I can make the designs for free, just tell me the size you want/need for wich case model. If you need a particular title design I can make it too, no problem, I'll attach every file ready to print.

Now that is very good STAR. You are clearly a very talented cover maker.

What I am is a guy with too much spare time. ^c-

How long did one take? There's 72 others I'm after ;)

I took an afternoon. I already had the vectorized elements, so this is like completing a puzzle. If you need I can make all the rest of covers. Anyone want to host them in some place?

By the way it will great if somebody can provide a plain and clear pic from Road Riot 4WD like the one used on the Atari Falcon release, the coin-op flyer has too many letters over there. This is if you need a custom cassette tape custom inlay, of course.

Inspired by BadPricey I've make a cassette tape jewel-case insert for Alien vs Predator. Here goes a JPEG preview and a zipped TIFF in CMYK ready to print.

PS. I used the original lightwave paint cover by Andrew H. Denton, enjoy his art at http://www.dal.net/ahd/select.html

Impressive work! Now I wonder how to do something similar... :? :? :?

• 1 year later...

Those normal C-cassette cases look pretty nice for Lynx (or any handheld) games, but as someone said, those probably only look -really good- when they're new, since they scratch and break so easily. God damnit those soft VHS-styled cassette cases look good! I couldn't find them anymore on the whole interwebs D: someone must have bought the remaining ones for their Lynx collection.

Nice work on the boxes and box-art everyone! ^^

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx