IGNORED

Steam games suitable for classic arcade joystick/fight stick (no mouse)

I recently have been playing with a Pelican fight stick I got cheap sometime back, after forgetting about it I just recently got it working well on a PC, and I now have an arcade bug. I have played around with MAME though the trouble of finding good roms and avoiding bad sites has sort of spoiled the fun. Even so sometimes you can never fully go back. I have enjoyed playing many titles on that but I can play the same on my XEGS for the most part......what I REALLY want are modern games, with newer graphics, physiques etc.....that still have that old Arcade style design.....preferably games I can play multiplayer with a friend as well. I saw the X-Arcade2TV Unit and have a bug to make my own version, but may modify as my end goal is STEAM not Mame, but let's pretend I have all cabinet restrictions I want to test this out on my Pelican. I am looking for either modern Arcade/Indie games, or Remakes of Classics like Pac Man Championship Edition, or Titan Attacks (Space Invaders updated clone) I am not as big on actual fighting games ( I know I know I am using a fight stick)So What games on Steam Would you Recommend? I'd like people to keep posting as new stuff comes up they see as well....

Requirements:

1) Does not need mouse and keyboard to play. (BIG ONE)

2) Doesn't require a second joystick or pad (like 360 controller games sometimes can)

3) Limited to 10 buttons Preferable 8 buttons.

4) Works well with Digital control. (As an Example Spy Hunter type of games and or racers don't work so well with this kind of joystick, better with a wheel or flight stick)

5) Classic Arcade style...(subjective)

6) Preference for multiplayer on screen, same screen or split (online doesn't count here, want people to be able to play side by side.)

7) If you love them mention any fighters, but really for myself not big on those unless they are the old fight through a level style. Mortal Combat just isn't my thing.

8) Bonus if I can play it in the room with a 3-4 yr old...:) (No cursing, nudity, and violence is not as extremely graphic)

B2zrrYnCUAETfiY.jpg

Some examples of things I have found and either tried, or reviewed and think will work.

Spelunky

Hoard

Forced (Gauntlet clone)

The Cave (very good looking scroller)

Choplifter HD

Titans Attack!

Pac-Man Championship

Castle

Jamestown

Monaco

Castle Crashers

Mercenary Kings

Zombie Driver ?

I haven't tried all of these but as I do I will comment on whether they work well. Would love input and ideas.

One thing missing from many new console games is the controls are not quickly accessible, unless you have been playing with a xbox/ps3/etc controller you're not going to quickly adapt. I miss the 2600/Arcade feel of games that someone who isn't versed can still grab a seat next to you and play... my goal is to put in games that anyone can sit down at a joystick and pick up fairly quickly. Atari era style gaming, modern graphics and sound.....

Edited by Sargnickfury

I can't recommend Crimzon Clover World Ignition enough. It's my favorite 'arcade stick' game. I never thought I could play a bullet hell shmup but this one eases users into it. It has just about every feature a modern shmup could have. I really like the replay mode which lets me enjoy the music and visuals, while I amaze myself at how much of it I survived--also great for youtube recording. I'm no 1-cc master or anything, but I still like it when my ship flies over the ground vertically, and lots of things blow up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyWFF1sNfKM

I will say that in your above list I cannot stand pac man championship. I won't get into the game mechanics that make me hate it so, but I will mention that I had to unplug my 360 receiver from the pc entirely to get it to use my arcade stick--just an fyi in case you're having trouble. Also, if your stick has the common sanwa jlf lever with a square gate, the gate can be rotated into a 4-way for games like pac man.

Edited by Reaperman

Thanks for info!!!!

My Joystick is a Pelican Universal Real Arcade Tournament Ready Stick.....or some such Katzenjammer kid name......Interestingly I can only get it to work on Windows 7/64 using the xbox adapter. It works with Ps2 and Gamecubes but not adapters using them to usb on PC. Sort of sad as there is a much better ps2 programable driver for pc, stil it gives me 8 buttons plus a coin and start button up top, Also the mode switch allows the stick to go between digital and analog, which the driver sees as the pad and the thumb stick, useful as I can switch modes and sometimes use the (other) stick that would be on xbox.

What you mentioned about the 8 way vs 4 way has me intrigued as this is a real problem I am having in Mame. Best I an tell there is no restricter plate.....wondering what I might do or if there is a way I could quickly switch back and forth. For games like Time Pilot it's a dream, for games like Pac Man Donkey Kong etc it really stinks when it gets stuck in the corners. Where could I get a plate and how would I mount it that would allow me to go back and forth?

Not my pictures....I found them online.

realarcade1-1.jpg

2-pelicanhapp_bottom.jpg

Edited by Sargnickfury

What you mentioned about the 8 way vs 4 way has me intrigued as this is a real problem I am having in Mame. Best I an tell there is no restricter plate.....wondering what I might do or if there is a way I could quickly switch back and forth.

Thanks for the pics. It looks like that pelican features a happ/IL 'competition'-style lever, which works a bit differently than the sanwa jlf which has now become common in newer, japanese-style sticks. There is no easy way to switch a competition to 4-way, but with a few screws, just about any other lever could be swapped in in its place. Arcade levers aren't actually terribly expensive or hard to install.

Even with a stick with 2/4/8-way switchability, it still requires access to the base of the lever, so it's not a quick operation. I'm guessing there are just a ton of screws holding the bottom of that case on.

Edited by Reaperman

I'm very confused about this joystick, because it doesn't appear to be able to screw off the knob or handle....so even if I get under it I do not know hot to get it off.....Obviously there is a way! When you pull up on the knob there is a spring feeling pulling it back down, I do not know if that offers a hint....do you know? Also If this is a Happ isn't that what most of the old systems used? How did they restrict them?

LOL I should have looked more closely before borrowing those pictures......they were from a page where he modded his Pelican.....the actual pelican has different buttons, and does NOT have a Happ/IL...unsure which it is....will open it up and check later....kinda getting off topic now though, I really want to hear about other steam games that work with traditional arcade set up...

I will say on joiystick I much prefer teh Happ style sticks then the sanwa jfl style. I like the sturdier feel, and I'm more about abuse.....I do not plan on doing much in the way of fighting games where you have to do crazy joystick combinations....what I want is rugged nigh invinsable arcade quality.....after looking at the guys page I may replace this with a Happ/IL as well.

Edited by Sargnickfury

LOL I should have looked more closely before borrowing those pictures......they were from a page where he modded his Pelican.....the actual pelican has different buttons, and does NOT have a Happ/IL...unsure which it is....will open it up and check later....kinda getting off topic now though, I really want to hear about other steam games that work with traditional arcade set up...

I will say on joiystick I much prefer teh Happ style sticks then the sanwa jfl style. I like the sturdier feel, and I'm more about abuse.....I do not plan on doing much in the way of fighting games where you have to do crazy joystick combinations....what I want is rugged nigh invinsable arcade quality.....after looking at the guys page I may replace this with a Happ/IL as well.

So, I'm pretty drunk at the moment, because it's an appropriate time/place locally---so take what I say with a grain of salt, because I'm'a about to unload.... And I will *totally* regret this tomorrow even before you even read this. (really drunk/sorry...really)

HAPP used to be pretty awesome. In the 80's and 90's, they took spanish-made Industrias Lorenzo buttons/levers, combined them with american cherry switches, and created what americans know as to be the 'arcade' feel. Every machine you touched--xybots, ninja turtles, sunset riders, street fighter 2, mortal kombat--everything in america rocked the IL/cherry "happ" combo. The big exceptions were maybe namco units with asian button/lever hardware. (please, atari age, correct me if I'm wrong here)

HAPP was good, but then HAPP changed. They went from spanish/american hardware, to chinese buttons/levers with chinese switches/springs. They spent as long cashing in on their history in as they spend building it. HAPP used to mean 'good controls' but they cashed in on that, and now it means 'joke' in arcade speak.

Fairly recently I gutted somebody's *VERY* expensive Neo Geo "MAS Stick" (china Happ) into an IL/Cherry stick for myself. For "arcade" controls, I think it's best to find what "arcade" you like best, swap out the springs/sticks/buttons until they match even better. I doubted the sanwa sticks/buttons myself until I felt them with a stiffer spring and american, cherry switches. I doubted korean sticks until I noticed how similar they were to primative IL (and, naturally current HAPP) designs.

In short, I don't think I'm fully able at this time to read your response (glug-glug), but there is "arcade" control, and then there is "arcade" control, if you know what I mean. Find what you like and mod it to be perfect. For a long time I thought "arcade quality" was the end of the search, but now I realize it's only the beginning.

BTW: for STEAM, also try Cave Story+ and the Metal Slug ports. Jamestown, which you mentioned, is no slouch either. Danmaku unlimited 2 is an okay shmup. So is reflex. But if you don't have crimson clover world igniton--fix that problem now.

Edited by Reaperman

I was kinda worried when you started out, but then you wrote more coherently then I do sober.....:D Hope there are no regrets!

I like the traditional Happy stick feel, is IL my best bet? Or Korean? I like that larger heavier baseball batt....Thinking if I modify my current stick it will be with the IL watched a video and it's much better quality then the Suzo/Happ and still made in spain.

For buttons I really just care that they are responsive. The controls actually that come with this Real Arcade are not bad at all. Not sure who makes them but they feel very much like arcade. Would love if it had a 4way to 8 way switch though for older titles, I noticed the new magnetic based sticks have that option but from what I read they may not hold up as well as springs.

In any case I kinda went crazy.....I got this, and I have now ordered a used Dream Stick 360 wireless, as it's made by Dream Arcade and supposed to have very decent parts..I think IL on stick. I also ordered a Mayflash fight stick universal as it is supposed to be really good out of the box, and the board can be used for my own modded setup later....Will see what I like and mod what I don't....

Since I plan on steam gaming more and more I am seeing I pretty much need a 360 board in the stick....I can use joytokey app for my Pelican to make it do keyboard commands but there is a slightlag there......and it's annoying I have to use it at all since this is basically an xbox controller....come on MS it's your own d*** stick! Anyway.......but what I am really back to now is games....the reason 360 is a must is I am noticing many games in steam ONLY recognize a 360 controller. Also many games are requiring use of all those extra 360 buttons and sticks. The programmers have gotten drunk with button excess.....lots of waste where 3-5 buttons are used for things that could be condensed to 1 button. (Do I really need a different button to pick up something then to open a door?)

The worst is games that I saw as viable have had hidden second stick requirements...Forced looked good, but once I got it I found it requires one stick for movement and another for facing......that would make sense if perspective moved but it doesn't so why in the heck should your facing be diffeent? Over complicates it, this isn't tombraider! It kills it being viable for my purpose.......so...I'm looking again....

Really would love some ARPG's and/or gauntlet clones that would work with this.

Spelunky works fantastic though after being saved by Joytokey.... So far it's been my favorite title for my Steam Arcade.... I think if I ever build this thing I am going to have to put in a mouse trackball. Steam games just requires too much mouse use in menus....

• 5 years later...