IGNORED

The Music Machine Prototype

Steve_4511

This whole repro thing is getting out of hand. I personally think it's ruining the market where people keep trying to pawn these off as genuine. Our technology has gotten too advanced that collecting is no longer fun. I finally got myself a Cannon Man, the last Sears game I needed. At least I have them all loose. Short of this, I can't remember the last time I got a game I needed for my collection, probably 4-5 years ago. I don't want to risk spending any kind of money on something that can be fake. Like every other hobby, we now have fakes coming into the market and it saddens me that there will be collectors out there who do get scammed and will get frustrated with the hobby. So my take on things is literally to stop collecting for the most part unless I can get things cheap or in the wild where I can handle the items myself and have my gut feeling if they are real or fake.

Phil

• Like 1

:thumbsdown:

This whole repro thing is getting out of hand. I personally think it's ruining the market where people keep trying to pawn these off as genuine. Our technology has gotten too advanced that collecting is no longer fun. I finally got myself a Cannon Man, the last Sears game I needed. At least I have them all loose. Short of this, I can't remember the last time I got a game I needed for my collection, probably 4-5 years ago. I don't want to risk spending any kind of money on something that can be fake. Like every other hobby, we now have fakes coming into the market and it saddens me that there will be collectors out there who do get scammed and will get frustrated with the hobby. So my take on things is literally to stop collecting for the most part unless I can get things cheap or in the wild where I can handle the items myself and have my gut feeling if they are real or fake.

Phil

Yeah, I'm seeing more and more fakes over the last couple months. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

----

Did you win the cannon man that sold for $15.50 ?

I was second on that. Congrats on the game. great price

I guess happiest missed that one ;)

That's my take on things as well. The repros are going to kill the hobby. I understand the purpose has good intentions, but there are simply too many slimeball profiteers out there trying to pass them off for real. That's a big reason I am not a fan of all the reprinted Intellivision and Colecovision boxes for the rare titles. Too many bad people out there.

Making reproductions is not a problem, as many hobbies do it. But these are almost always clearly marked, especially now a days on boxes, inside the fine print, different colors, etc. I went to a flea market yesterday and saw some reprints of 1990s DC comics and they clearly had roman numerals on the front cover. There are cases where the reprints are now becoming more valuable than the originals due to their low print runs. But having people defraud the public is where the problem lies as Bill says.

@roadrunner: yes, I was the one who got the Cannon Man at $15.50. It's been a good 20 years trying to find that one for an affordable price.

Phil

Edited by Philflound
  • Like 1