IGNORED

Light Gun programming today...

There has to be a way to make light guns work on non-CRT's (TFT's, projectors, etc.). In the video signal is the information on where each screen starts and when each line starts. From there, it shouldn't be to hard to determine where the beam would be, if a CRT was used.

We already had that. There is no way to do so based only on the hardware of the light-gun.

I try again to explain, since I have found this nice video:

The operation of the light gun needs this kind of display output. Non CRTs doesn't produce this signal, so the base for position estimation is lost. (When not going the 'flashing-area-principle' which means new, special software written for it.)

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 1

The light gun for PS1 takes the video signal, I suspect because the PS1 has no native support for light guns. The peripheral would take care of deducing what the X/Y positions are.

Like most modern consoles, the controller input is by means of the console sending a serial request and getting packets of data back - for a console to support a light gun natively using similar method to Atari, you need the console to have a direct input from the sensor.

Hallo Irgendwer

We already had that.

I know we had that discussion.

There is no way to do so based only on the hardware of the light-gun

Do you plug your PS2 mice strait into the XL/XE?

Think outside the box. I don't want to change the light gun, the computer or the software. I just want to add some hardware (in whatever way, shape or form) so the light gun can be used on non-CRTs.

BTW I do understand how the beam moves across the screen. What I do not understand, is that the light gun only seems to catch the light of the beam at the point at which you aim the light gun. In the time it takes even the fastest among us to pull the trigger, the CRT shows us at least 10 complete frames.

Sincerely

Mathy

The CCD is only sufficiently sensitive to see the pixel as it's scanned. And the display has to use relatively bright colours.

The trigger is immaterial, you can get X/Y positions generated regardless if it's pressed or not.

Making a gun that worked on LCD would mean starting from scratch. If you look at the Wiki article - probably the most feasible method would be the one that has an IR LED placed in each corner of the screen, with the gun receiving a proportional brightness from each. From there, you can reasonably deduce from relative values where it's pointed.

Edited by Rybags