IGNORED

External hard drive question

WestofHouse

I'm getting ready to install an external drive on my One. I've seen it recommended that you put games on the external drive but leave apps on the internal, and that makes sense. I've also seen that when you first install a drive you get the option to set it as the default for all new game and app installs. I'd like all new games to be installed on the external, but what if you don't want new apps to install there? Do you get a choice which to use when you install?

From what I can tell you pick either the internal or external drive as the default install for both games and apps. Once a game or app is downloaded, it can be moved or copied between the two drives. (or three if you have two external drives).

Apps are small (20-50MB), so they move between the drives quickly.

I am not sure why you would want apps and games on separate drives, but if that is what you want you can do it.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently put WD My Book USB 3.0 drives on both of my XB1 consoles, My kid has a 4TB and mine got a 3TB. I have them set to install games to the attached drives and moved all the previously installed games also. My kids went from 97% full using the internal drive to something under 10% on the external. :)

The games load and perform as good or better than using the internal drive. For me, I don't notice, but my kid, since he plays lots of multiplayer games that load the same map rotations as routine, he claims they load a bit faster from the USB 3.0 My book. Go figure....

• 4 months later...

Another question, how much faster or better is using the external drive?

I was going to buy a 500Gb X1 and 1Tb external drive but Gamestop has a 1Tb model with three included games which is too good to pass up. Both options cost $400...

How is the speed?

I ended up buying a WD My Passport Ultra 3 TB portable. Small, plenty of storage, and does NOT need a power source, it's just USB powered. That was a big factor, as I don't even know if I have any free outlets behind my TV.

Anyway, a few days in, and I'm happy with it.

How is the speed on that drive? The My Book is noticeably faster when loading levels. I also know when playing Destiny I am usually on the planet before others in my fireteam playing from the internal drive.

How is the speed?

How is the speed on that drive? The My Book is noticeably faster when loading levels. I also know when playing Destiny I am usually on the planet before others in my fireteam playing from the internal drive.

From what I just read, it's a 5400 RPM, like the internal drive. I did read about some slight improvements with the 7200's, but in my little bit of research, the 7200's were either too big for what I wanted, or had a power supply.

Maybe down the line I might change my mind, but my main concerns right now were more storage, compact, and no power supply.

From what I just read, it's a 5400 RPM, like the internal drive. I did read about some slight improvements with the 7200's, but in my little bit of research, the 7200's were either too big for what I wanted, or had a power supply.

Maybe down the line I might change my mind, but my main concerns right now were more storage, compact, and no power supply.

I'm sure it's fine. This weekend I brought one of my Xbox One consoles somewhere and I had to move some games to the internal drive before I disconnected it. I did not feel like digging the External HDD's powersupply out from behind the entertainment center.

So the performance factor is not everything. :)