IGNORED

GOG Galaxy client

Looks like GOG is doing a client like Steam.

http://www.gog.com/galaxy

I think they could be a serious competitor since they are DRM free and have customer service/offer refunds for stuff that doesn't work. Hopefully that competition will make Steam have some better service.

Lots of Info here:

http://lifehacker.com/why-gog-galaxy-is-worth-trying-out-even-if-you-use-ste-1703601685/+tinaamini

After trying it out this weekend its pretty nice. It doesn't detect all your games that are already installed though. You have to manually search for each one and import them in.

It wasnt finding my already-installed games either - I just un-installed them (kept the save files) and reinstalled them in the client. Went smooth as silk.

The games I have (save for Duke Nukem, but I play that through a source port anyway) are predominately 1-player, otherwise I'd try the multiplayer and see if that works.

I like it, but it's got a ways to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, you have to reinstall previous GOG games through the client since Galaxy use extra log files in the games themselves.

Wish there's a way to add other games to the launcher like Steam does. And also I wish they can use Steam versions of the games they also sell (ie Rise Of The Triad - the modern version that now use Steamworks), but for now I changed the shortcut launcher to run the Steam version instead of the GOG one.

For me, it's a nice way to run DOS & SCUMMVM based games seperate from using the Steam cleint which i reserve for modern stuff. So for now it's more of a compliment to Steam rather than an outright replacement...

I've installed a few games and looked it over.
So far just seems like Steam but for GOG.
BEYOND THAT, I still like what they are doing with it. I have it installed and might actually buy and play games from GOG now.
One interesting feature I found while trying out Tyrian 2000 was that you could change the video filter through the Galaxy client.
Granted I could have probably done this before, but it was neat to see it implemented as it was.
I also like the idea of being able to download offline backup copies.

One interesting feature I found while trying out Tyrian 2000 was that you could change the video filter through the Galaxy client.

Granted I could have probably done this before, but it was neat to see it implemented as it was.

That is a really nice feature. I believe before you had to go into the DOS Box config for each game and tweak the filter settings that way. Kind of a pain if you ask me.

• Like 1

Despite the client being supposedly "100% optional", there are already games on gog that will require the client to run it seems. Hardly "100% optional", especially if it becomes more common. Apparently people find out about the game force-installing the client on them only after they've bought the game - ie: it doesn't seem to say on the game page.

As an example - check the reviews.

http://www.gog.com/game/double_dragon_trilogy

As one of the reviews put it, not only does it force you to install the client, multiplayer is disabled unless you log in. I doubt I'll be buying any more games on gog least I find out my "DRM-free" games are crippled unless I log in or require a client I may not want installed. (ie: gog isn't needed. I already have Steam for my drmed digital games.)

Edited by Mord

Having 2 large expensive DLC items ("Expansion Passes") for their games is also unusual for GOG's owners, especially when it's really no different from what the competition already does despite their claims that they're "doing it the right way". I can easily see this becoming the norm for new releases and with the way gog updates installers, it can easily be added to existing games already bought. (Although naturally it won't affect games already downloaded and installed outside of the client.)

Actually I think one of the 4 games noted for needing the galaxy client is an old game called Rise of the Triad. I think that's a freebie on the site, or was at one point. I'd have to log in to gog to verify that however.

Despite the client being supposedly "100% optional", there are already games on gog that will require the client to run it seems. Hardly "100% optional", especially if it becomes more common. Apparently people find out about the game force-installing the client on them only after they've bought the game - ie: it doesn't seem to say on the game page.

As an example - check the reviews.

http://www.gog.com/game/double_dragon_trilogy

As one of the reviews put it, not only does it force you to install the client, multiplayer is disabled unless you log in. I doubt I'll be buying any more games on gog least I find out my "DRM-free" games are crippled unless I log in or require a client I may not want installed. (ie: gog isn't needed. I already have Steam for my drmed digital games.)

I have that game, it doesn't require Galaxy anymore (they changed the installer back around christmas time) but it did at one point because the devs wanted it. People complained, GOG changed the installer and its fixed. Here's the thing though, even without the "fix" you could still just go to the folder the game is installed and run the EXE and play it.

It's the devs you need to look into. GOG laid out the rules when they announced it, everyone was given surveys if they wanted a client and people did want a client. The rules are, it's optional and its DRM free, Devs are left with the decisions of DLC, multiplayer and LAN play. If a game is multiplayer you MUST use the client. If you want to hook up and play multiplayer with older games or use Steam mods or play with Steam players you must use the client.

I woudn't worry about it. If you do, check the community forums based on the game in question. GOG and the devs (if they are still around) post there and answer questions.

Or just get a refund for the game. Nobody else does that.