IGNORED

Osborne systems

A couple of weeks ago I acquired a whole pile of old PC stuff from a friend who was rummaging it off - hundreds of disks, manuals, and assorted parts. Mixed in was a bunch of Osborne stuff, including a couple of sets of Osborne 4 system disks (including assorted software like CP/M, WordStar, D-Base II, SuperCalc, CBASIC/MBASIC, and a game called Desperation), a couple of sets of user manuals, CP/M manuals, and programming manuals, a boxed Comm-Pac, boxed Starter Pac, and some binders/sleeves/cases for manuals and software. No Osborne computer, unfortunately; apparently that got sold about a decade ago. Most of the manuals are for the Osborne 4, which cursory research tells me went by the name Vixen.

I never really thought about Osbornes before but this has me curious. I don't have a CP/M machine (unless you count the TRS-80 Model II), and I've been kicking myself for not buying a Kaypro for $25 a VCF a few years back. Having all this stuff now, would it be worth it to track down an Osborne (and if so, what's a fair price I should expect to pay?), or would I be better off just trading/selling it?

Man, if you just want an Osborne for the sheer novelty of owning one of the first "portable" computers, then go for it. But if you intend to actually use the thing, I suggest you go back to looking for a Kaypro. Something like an Osborne 4 is pretty esoteric, even for vintage C/PM computers. Kaypro computers are a lot more common, the cases always look pretty nice and are easy to clean up, and they are actually pretty durable.

Something to consider... an Osborne 4 is pretty different from the earlier Osborne computers. They finally figured out that tiny screen was a FAIL.

• Like 2

I have an Osborne Executive (OCC-2) and Osborne Osborne 1 (OCC-1). They're both fun if you're into that sort of thing, but I do tend to prefer the Kaypro systems for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the larger screen (I have a Kaypro 4 '84 and three II's). With that said, they're both more or less the same type of computer (the various models of each), so, in my opinion, since you already have a start on an Osborne 4 (Vixen), there would be no reason not to go for that one other than the difficulty in finding one and the relative expense. Also, if you are somehow able to find a working one for a somewhat reasonable price, it does have a cool design and bigger screen than the previous Osborne models. The easier path though is just to get a Kaypro, since they're far more common and would end up costing you less (keeping in mind that does nothing about the materials you've acquired).

• Like 1

Yeah, after investigating a bit further, it's looking like Kaypro is the way to go. :)

It should be easier to Acquire One... I was given an Osborn I, and the Disks actually boot!!!

MarkO