IGNORED

Best Coco2 games?

eebuckeye

TimeBandit, Ghwana Bhana, Speed Racer, Sailorman (Popeye), Arkanoid, Dinowars, Grabber, Candy Factory, Whirly Bird Run (Super Cobra), FireCopter, MS Maze, Electron, Storm, Neutroid II, Cybernoid, Protector, Canyon Climber, Raaka-Tu, Black Sanctum, The Sands of Egypt...

• Like 1

TimeBandit, Ghwana Bhana, Speed Racer, Sailorman (Popeye), Arkanoid, Dinowars, Grabber, Candy Factory, Whirly Bird Run (Super Cobra), FireCopter, MS Maze, Electron, Storm, Neutroid II, Cybernoid, Protector, Canyon Climber, Raaka-Tu, Black Sanctum, The Sands of Egypt...

How could I have forgotten Time Bandit?

BTW, Pegasus and the Phantom Riders is another good game but it feels mostly like Lancer

If you have a Speech & Sound Pack, Varloc and Ghana Bwana support it and are pretty decent.

Galax Attack is a decent Galaxian Clone.

Edited by JamesD

For cartridge games, check out: Androne, Temple of Rom, Space Assault, Galactic Attack, Microbes, Project Nebula, Popcorn, Clowns & Balloons, Canyon Climber, Stellar Life Line, Downland, Polaris, and Mega Bug.

There are also many good tape and disk games, as well, as others have listed. I'm partial to Whirlybird Run, Galagon, Zaxxon, Lancer, and Phantom Slayer.

• 2 weeks later...

Warning - I only played most of these as a kid and may be looking through rose colored glasses.

Of what I have played Dungeons of Daggorath is what I consider to be the best game on the system. Be aware that it's not a game that can be played without reading the manual or some sort of FAQ to learn the controls and mechanics. It has some odd mechanics and probably isn't for anyone. Keyboard control only and you type in commands (<m>ove, <A>ttack <L>eft etc...) For me it's also the scariest game of all time because of the minimalism, sound effects, heartbeat, torches which burn out, and getting jumped by powerful monsters etc. it's a very memorable experience to say the least. The only problem was it was so 'scary' me and my friend were often to afraid to play it. A ( I also played it as an adult. It's archaic and obtuse, but these elements give it a ton of atmosphere like no other game ever made and I think it holds up).

Temple of Rom - Kind of like Pitfall in a huge overhead view maze like world and you have a laser. Like pitfall I don't think it can be 'beaten'. Unique and memorable A- ( I also played it as an adult and it holds up)

Starblaze - very good space shooter / strategy, a bit like Defender with a little strategy thrown in. B

Downland - Sorta like Donkey Kong. Your Character looks a lot like Mario. Freaking hard and unforgiving but good. B

Spidercide - Think blasting spiders while they are building a Tholian web around you. Enjoyable enough. B-

Microbes - Decent asteroid clone with interesting two player mechanic. Very simple game. Not great but not bad. Very good control for your ship C+

Color Baseball - If you would like to play Baseball on your coco it's not bad. C+

Androne - First person shooter meets Bezerk. Meh. You are in a multi floor endless maze (I think it's endless anyway) C

Slay the Nereis - Shameless centipede rip off, but not a bad one. If you like centipede you'll like this. I don't like centipede so I give it a C

Pyramid - This was a game that came on cassette instead of a cartridge. Think stripped down Zork in Egypt. Text only. I say don't bother with this one unless you enjoy interactive fiction games D-

Edited by Major_Tom_coming_home