IGNORED

Thunder Castle easter eggs

It has always been a challenge to find the easter eggs in the Intellivision games.

Some years ago I gave my contribution to discover (or rediscovered, who knows?) a "new" and well hidden easter egg in Tropical Trouble (look at my avatar).

Talking about Thunder Castle 2 easter eggs have always been reported (the ones in the sorcerer and of in the demon splash screens) but it seems like the third easter egg has never been noticed. Or maybe I've never been able to find it in the web.

Look at the picture: in the low corner to the left it's quite clearly readable "CONNIE" , for Connie Goldman:

post-41160-0-67511000-1432129748_thumb.png

Do you know easter eggs that have not been reported? The Intellivision Library has a wide and probably complete list of the known easter eggs

• Like 3

Nice! Could you PM me how to get the Tropical Trouble egg? I'll need to document that one.

EDIT: Ah, I see that the Digital Press has the Tropical Trouble one listed. Guess I'll have to go datamining there. :D

Edited by intvsteve

Hi Steve (Steve O., right?),

another not reported (even if I tried years ago to share it) is Centipede: not exactly an easter egg, but a bug.

Press [1] & [clear], then press reset. The Atari logo will look blocky. Press any key to make the game start normally. It seems like the bug does not work with emulators.

Unfortunatelly never reported, but true: look at the picture

post-41160-0-93227300-1432131958_thumb.jpg

I don't know if the bug is active with PAL console only.

Edited by intellivotion

another not reported (even if I tried years ago to share it) is Centipede: not exactly an easter egg, but a bug.

Press [1] & [clear], then press reset. The Atari logo will look blocky. Press any key to make the game start normally. It seems like the bug does not work with emulators.

attachicon.gifCentipede.jpg

That should be credited to me :P

Interesting. Seems the same as this one, though if it's 1+clear instead of 1+9 it at least has a different trigger. Wonder if Defender does this, too.

Yes, it's true! I do not remember if I ever tried with Defender. Anyway, the bug in Centipede seemed like working in an actual console only

Connie's name and initials are all over multiple screens if you look closely.

http://www.spatula-city.mine.nu/~intvlib/inty/reviews/tc.html

Do you see "Connie" or "CG" in the playing screens? I have seen the Connie Goldman's signature in the 3 splash screens only (in the wizard's staff, among the skulls under the demon and in the dragon's tail)

Do you see "Connie" or "CG" in the playing screens? I have seen the Connie Goldman's signature in the 3 splash screens only (in the wizard's staff, among the skulls under the demon and in the dragon's tail)

Oops, you're right. Those were the only ones I knew of. 3 signatures and lots of initials, but only on splash screens.

Another funny thing in Centipede: Digital Press has reported an hidden message in the compiled code:

“Why are you disassembling this code? That isn’t nice!” can be found at the very beginning of the compiled code, and at the very end is the message, “Programmed by Mark Kennedy Graphics by Eric Wels Sounds by Russ Haft. Greetings from ATARI!!!”

But in the middle of the compiled code something else can be found: JOE: KNOCK KNOCK!”, “MOE: WHO`S THERE?”, ”JOE: SANTA!”, “MOE: SANTA WHO!”, “JOE: SANTAPEDE IS COMIN' TO TOWN!!!

But ... my question is: who are Joe and Moe?

Edited by intellivotion

Here is one i never noticed before but heard rumors that his initials were in the game too. I noticed all the CG's even when i was a kid, but never noticed the DW in the pitch fork.

attachicon.gif75099-thunder-castle-intellivision-screenshot-splash-screen-threes.gif

D W ...very interesting! I've never noticed it before.

Here is one i never noticed before but heard rumors that his initials were in the game too. I noticed all the CG's even when i was a kid, but never noticed the DW in the pitch fork.

attachicon.gif75099-thunder-castle-intellivision-screenshot-splash-screen-threes.gif

In the compiled code of TC it is also written "b y C o n n i e G o l d m a n & D a v e W a r h o l". I've always wondered if there's a way to let it appear...

• 1 month later...

attachicon.gifCentipede.jpg

If you run jzintv with the --pal flag (only available on later builds), it'll look blocky there too.

There's also a DW in the lower right corner of the wizard's beard.

tc4.gif

• Like 2

There is also CONNIE on the tip of the handle of the staff located below the A of Castle.

Yeah, that one I thought was pointed out already.

I just realized that the pattern down the staff itself could be interpreted as alternating Cs and Gs as well.

In the compiled code of TC it is also written "b y C o n n i e G o l d m a n & D a v e W a r h o l". I've always wondered if there's a way to let it appear...

I had a quick look through the code. There doesn't seem to be a mechanism, or if there is, it's well hidden. The ROM starts off with a series of cartridge headers, and the phrase appears after that series of cartridge headers and a table with pointers back to those cartridge headers.

The game loads different graphics sets into the EXEC by changing the cartridge header pointer at $2F0 to one of the values in that table, and then asking the EXEC to reinitialize the game. No other code seems to generate a pointer in this territory.

Granted, I only spent a little time looking at it so I may have missed something.

• Like 1

There's also a DW in the lower right corner of the wizard's beard.

tc4.gif

There must also be a "D W" in dragon's splash screen , don't you think?

Or maybe a "Dave Warhol", but I don't find it...

Edited by intellivotion