IGNORED

Atari 800 with VBXE possible?

commander

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ha, this is exactly the thread I was looking for! I'm finally getting around to installing my incognito board I've been thinking about better video sometime in the next year.

Looking over the install guides, I was pretty sure you could run a 40 pin ribbon cable between the socket and the VBXE board, I'm glad to see that people say this works.

Based on the following comment from 5 years ago:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/142283-vbxe-2/page-39?do=findComment&comment=2001000

Is that still all that's required? Where exactly are you picking up the clock signal on the 800 board?

Is anyone here willing to do a quick write up of the wiring/soldering required to put this in an 800?

--Jason

Generally, the VBXE takes over clock generation. On the XE and Freddy equipped XL you just use the 14 MHz crystal that's resident on the machine.

On all others you remove the 3.6 MHz crystal and have a 14 MHz crystal for NTSC or PAL as relevant on the actual VBXE board.

Then you tap off the 3.6 MHz output pin from VBXE and feed that into the host where the master crystal formerly was.

If there's no instructions specific for 800 then you'd need to adapt ones from another machine. The 800XL is probably closest to what needs to be done.

If you're dealing with an Incognito 800 then it's probably an entire different kettle of fish again. I'd be relying on candle to provide guidance there.

Edited by Rybags

• 4 months later...

Pin 38 on the PBI. Kind of messy to run a single wire, but I see no reason why it won't work.

This is obviously assuming that Incognito is present.

Thanks Kyle. I was unable to figure that out myself. :) Yes, Incognito is present so that takes care of D6xx, CASINH and EXTSEL, I guess. Master clock is easy enough. I don't expect it to be especially neat but there should only be three wires coming off the back of the PBI header. I'll fab up a transitional IDC connector for ANTIC and hide the VBXE near the motherboard. Case mounted (yuck) DIN13 where the RF cable used to emerge and we should be good to go. :) Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Anyone spoke to Candle recently, I know he became a Dad in August last year and those of us who are Dad's just know how big a deal it is but its like he simply vanished in August?

Did the baby eat him?

Hope he and family are ok, such a nice guy and always helpful..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1