IGNORED

DIY SIO2IDE plans

I have spent a while this morning looking for a circuit diagram to make a DIY SIO2IDE device. The retail ones are rather too expensive for what they are while the DIY plans I found use obsolete parts I cannot spurce from EBay.

Does anyone have their own circuit with modern components? Would you mind sharing it if you do?

It interests me ProWizard; simple as that! Plus, all the replacement and repair work I have done lately has give me a new taste for electronics. I'm really enjoying the soldering, despite its more frustrating moments.

I look at the "Ultimate1MB"/"SIDE2" as a hard drive and potentially the SIO2IDE as a floppy replacement.

For my on edification, what are the successors and the tasks they accomplish.

Successors of Sio2IDE are

Sio2SD which can do everything that Sio2IDE can, and more (faster SIO, creating new ATR's using the Atari, on screen display, booting .XEX files)

Sio2USB from Abbuc can almost do the same, but has Real Time Clock, onscreen display, creating new ATR's using the Atari

Sio2IDE is great, but limited.

All these three devices do emulate diskdrive (using ATR files).

Sio2SD which can do everything that Sio2IDE can, and more (faster SIO, creating new ATR's using the Atari, on screen display, booting .XEX files)

Sio2USB from Abbuc can almost do the same, but has Real Time Clock, onscreen display, creating new ATR's using the Atari

Having done a bit more reading I agree with you the SIO2SD is a superior piece of electronics. It sounds like, with a few extra features it would be a very valid alternative or at least accompaniment to a real 1050/XF551. The only shortcoming is its inability to be upgraded with actual drive mods - such as US Doubler or Happy. Add that characteristic and I would be persuaded. I am also unsure if you can make the drive images on the Atari itself. Otherwise you would have to create the ATR's on the pc and then copy them on to the SD card before using them from the Atari. Which would be rather tedious.

Luckily I think all the parts are currently available. The ones to buy ready-made are still pretty pricey though, but I think I may invest in a PCB and then populate with spares sourced locally. Most of the cost seems to be in the enclosure.

I'm lucky to use REAL HD! (to be a honest It's modern DiskOnModule with low power consumption and full silency.) I dreamed about for ages.

SIO2SD is FDD emulator even it can use large images.

It's simply ANOTHER device.

No mean that mouses and trackbolls has identical construction. Anyway it's different devices with thair own taste of working.

By the way SIO2IDE works perfectly with IDEPlus 2.0. It's a good news for me.

I'm lucky to use REAL HD! (to be a honest It's modern DiskOnModule with low power consumption and full silency.) I dreamed about for ages.

SIO2SD is FDD emulator even it can use large images.

It's simply ANOTHER device.

No mean that mouses and trackbolls has identical construction. Anyway it's different devices with thair own taste of working.

By the way SIO2IDE works perfectly with IDEPlus 2.0. It's a good news for me.

All Sio solutions do work perfectly with IDEPlus 2.0 .... it's always great to combine solutions.

But I don't understand your post completely. Sio2SD and Sio2IDE have both the same functionality.

I'm sure I have an SIO2IDE somewhere which is completely surplus to requirements, but lacks the Atmel chip. PM if interested.

You know I have deep respect for you FJC, and I find you coding skills exceptionally superb. But here you have something to learn… and take my word for that:

You never, really not in 1000 years, have anything atari 8bit related SURPLUS TO REQUIREMENTS ever. Stock is what you want, a huge stock, of everything possible.

• Like 3

The only downside I can see to the SIO2IDE - for my own uses - is the inability to create ATR's while on the Atari. If I understand correctly you have to put the ATR's on to the IDE device from the PC side of things. Which is a fairly major limitation I agree. Is there any way around it?

My the only wish is to connect someway (wired or wirelessly) PC with Atary for shared access to Atari hard drives.

Thus I can program with PC based full feachered IDE's but on Atari drives.

PC must see Atari HD as simple network drive and track access sharing.

By the way, It can be some kind of method for creating ATRs. :)

Dear FJC.

I know that you've played with MS Visual Studio and CC65.

I even can't imagine how to install these parts.

Documentation is very eclectic and I'm lost.

If I want to find something I must to know WHAT to find.

I'm not a programmer at all and the reasons for some actions slip away from me.

And I could not googled Atari related example for organizing CC65 PC-environment at all.

Please help!

:)

All the Best!

So, from what you are saying, I get more with the Sio2usb then I do with the Sio2Sd. Of couse, it's "2 USB" which means I need to connect it to a system one of these. I don't think that would be much of an issue for me to give those few extra advantages.

Thanks for that info.

So, from what you are saying, I get more with the Sio2usb then I do with the Sio2Sd. Of couse, it's "2 USB" which means I need to connect it to a system one of these. I don't think that would be much of an issue for me to give those few extra advantages.

Thanks for that info.

What's that about connecting to a system? No, SIO2USB is a standalone device, you plug USB memory sticks into it.

There is another product, SIO2PC-USB which is different. That tethers your atari to a PC and the PC emulates disk drives and other peripherals for the atari.

Oops. My bad and my assumption since it said, "USB".

Ah, so there is another option. So, I feel like this would be very useful to have these compairisons posted in one place. Just so I don't go assuming again, has anyone done this?

Yes indeed... it is confusing, I understand that.

Sio2PC-USB is also called sio2USB which is a wrong name, since it is Sio2PC over an USB connection.

(ABBUC) Sio2USB is Sio -> USB which is correct. In fact a Abbuc Sio2USB interfaces changes the SIO port in a USB port, where you can hook up a USB-memory stick.

On the other side (ABBUC) Sio2USB is still a misleading name, since it does not provide a REAL compatible USB port. It only supports USB-Memory sticks, so you can't hook up an USB-camera or an USB-Eprom-Burner to that USB port.

To make things even more complicated: (ABBUC) Sio2USB is actually also some kind of Sio2SD (not the same as the already existing Sio2SD). The internals of the Sio2USB do have a SD port that is the internal memory of the (ABBUC) Sio2USB. I would have loved it when the (ABBUC) Sio2USB also had an external SD port, but I understood that is not possible for some reasons I forgot.

(ABBUC) Sio2USB has a few tiny downsides. One of them is that not all existing USB memory sticks are compatible. So you'll have to search for a compatible one.

Another downside of (ABBUC) Sio2USB is that it does not support the highest SIO speed, and in bigger partitions the Sio speed gets slower when the sector # is higher.

Besides these downsides I think (ABBUC) Sio2USB really kicks ass. I own a few of these and I'm a VERY SATISFIED user.

Development team of this Sio2USB consists of a few very enthusiastic and skilled German Atari freaks. I find them very supportive and kind. You should google for Abbuc Raf Sio2USB Thomas Grasel or Harry Reminder.

Good luck!

I'd like to ask about some strange thing in my SIO2IDE.

It works without any deviation on 512mb PQI DOM flash IDE and doesn't work on 2Gb Trancend DOM flash IDE.

Does SIO2IDE has size limit or it's only power supply issue?

(PQI works without power supply).