IGNORED

Are some Ebait seller's just crazy? (TRS-80 Model III)

Omega-TI

In the distant past I purchased a number of SuperDrive Controllers for the Apple II. This is a special controller card with a 6502 onboard, and it can read/write 3.5" 1.44MB disks. All well and good.

I paid like $50 bucks for them. Reasonable. Maybe even a bargain at the time. Last week I saw one listed for $995.00 It sat around and I don't think it sold. Realistically these move at about $300 - $400.

When I sell something I typically list it for what I paid for it, or maybe a fraction more. Let the market decide. Having said that. Things that are overpriced must not ever be bought. I suggest we let them sit and rot.

Another thing, I've been watching a MicroModem II for the past, what, 3 or 4 years? Something like that. It's priced at 199.95. These move at $20 - $50 depending on the accessories and box, disk, docs. A complete one might command $50 - $60. I think this will sit there for another 5 years.

Reminds of the time I went into a Mega Media Exchange looking for retro games (pre-NES), and was informed that an Atari 2600 system is worth over $300. I should have offered to sell some of my spare 2600 consoles for $150 each; they could double their money! :-D

They could, but would they? If they were so confident they'd buy it right up at $150. When put to the test I bet they'd refuse.

They could, but would they? If they were so confident they'd buy it right up at $150. When put to the test I bet they'd refuse.

I don't know, I didn't think of it until after I left (much like the perfect comeback that hits you days after an insult). I was just kinda, "Okay..." and left, knowing it would be pointless to tell her otherwise.

I wonder if she's the same person as the OP of this thread... :P

It's the ultimate comeback that leaves them at a loss for words. Internet is no fun as they usually won't reply.

At a flea market it's great to use on those know-it-all, fat old white trash flea market vendors. They won't acknowledge your offer but after a few moments of silence you'll get the typical "if I have to sell it for less, I'll just BURN IT!" I think one guy on RGVAC did actually burn a game once when everyone started making fun of his firm price.

They also never learn. I used to go to arcade auctions and all day long decent games would be selling at fair and reasonable prices. Then you'd always get the old grouch vendor who would haul in 50 games and then out-bid everybody on his own equipment while having a hissy fit the entire time. End of the day, he'd dolly all his games back on to the trailer. You were allowed to buy your games back but each one still had a fee.

Months later at another auction...same jackass, same games.

• Like 3

They also never learn. I used to go to arcade auctions and all day long decent games would be selling at fair and reasonable prices. Then you'd always get the old grouch vendor who would haul in 50 games and then out-bid everybody on his own equipment while having a hissy fit the entire time. End of the day, he'd dolly all his games back on to the trailer. You were allowed to buy your games back but each one still had a fee.

Months later at another auction...same jackass, same games.

I missed something..

1- at an auction

2- fat white guy comes in selling 50 games

3- fat white guy outbids everyone else on his own stuff while complaining?

4- fat white guy takes all his stuff back to trailer

5- you have the option to buy your stuff back, but with a fee?

why'd someone bid on their own stuff?

And how do you have the option to buy your games back? What did you just do?

It is (or at least was) within the rules to bid on your own items. Old arcade operators (who usually look like someone from the Hoarders show) would think their garbage is worth a fortune and bid it up to the point they were high bidder and basically buy it back. Normally when you win an item, you pay something like an additional 10% to the auction company on top of your bid. I believe the auction company gave the buy back guys a much lower flat rate fee.

Guy hauls dozens of arcade games hundreds of miles, buys it all back, pays a fee on each one, loads them all back up and then drives hundreds of miles back home. Following week, he goes to the auction's next location and does it all over again. I'm sure a few had overnight hotel costs too.

There was no secrecy either. When one of those operators lots would go up, the regulars would leave to get something to eat or have a few beers.

• Like 2