IGNORED

Air Raid on eBay UK

codemonkey1980

Again as a lurker I half expected this! When I posted the auction I wanted to stay neutral (even though I thought it looked dodgy to me), in my reply I even said as much. I wanted to try and stay respectful incase it turned out to be genuine.

I can understand that you get people on here playing silly games and people may be cautious to a new member, but please I can only stress this is not the case. Atari 2600 was the first system I had back in the 80's as a kid and I am collecting the games from my youth (along with the other systems / games from this time etc). I search eBay UK daily for the items I'm after (including EU) and simply noticed this pop up. As I said I'm no expert, but I knew what Air Raid was and came here to see what people were saying about it. I thought it would make a good first post, fake or not, as I expected it would gather interest and make a good taking point.

I simply collect the common games I used to own (and am not interested in other games physically), of which I nearly have the lot! In fact another reason I signed up was I that I had been thinking about purchasing a Harmony cart and participating in the High Score challenge you do (I'm a competent player but dw I won't be breaking anyone's records!).

I have a solid eBay account of which I am a majority buyer (I sell once in a blue moon the things I no longer want), I have perhaps made purchases from members on here? I remember buying a nice boxed Defender & Missile Command (I think) from a shop 'World Of Atari' based in Germany if I remember correctly.

And yes I am also from the UK and it is a big place funnily enough, to put it in perspective for US members, I don't even live in the same country as the listing location (I am based in the South Wales Valleys - 30ish miles from Cardiff).

Edited by codemonkey1980

Someone in the UK finding something on the UK Ebay doesn't seem all that unusual to me. ;)

The recent joining might be but I say give him the benefit of the doubt. We should probably avoid giving new members a hard time based on pure speculation. If he is the poster of the auction, he'll leave on his own.

• Like 1

Someone in the UK finding something on the UK Ebay doesn't seem all that unusual to me. ;)

The recent joining might be but I say give him the benefit of the doubt. We should probably avoid giving new members a hard time based on pure speculation. If he is the poster of the auction, he'll leave on his own.

I would also point out the logic in making a scam auction (one that would gain massive interest in the community), and then pointing it out to the people who would easily be able to call BS if not geniune. I was under the assumption AR was an NTSC (extremely limited release), and wondered how this would have popped up here in the UK.

I am sorry this has turned out to be fake and hope that it hasn't lead to members here making their minds up about me. Perhaps it wasn't a good choice of first post, but either way I'm glad to have flagged this and potentially helped to stop someone getting ripped off.

I am sorry this has turned out to be fake and hope that it hasn't lead to members here making their minds up about me. Perhaps it wasn't a good choice of first post, but either way I'm glad to have flagged this and potentially helped to stop someone getting ripped off.

You absolutely did the right thing. And I can certainly see something as big as a boxed Air Raid showing up on ebay to prompt a lurker to register. By the way, welcome to the forums. :)

• Like 1

Now what would be really funny is if this seller did indeed have a real copy for sale and somebody just won it for that cheap.

The seller could possibly be one of those lazy sellers who finds a similar past auction and just steals the pics and descriptions for their own item.

I see this all the time for run of the mill stuff....now doing it on an item of this magnitude would be downright stupid...but I don't put anything past an uneducated ebay seller these days :D haha

• Like 1

Now what would be really funny is if this seller did indeed have a real copy for sale and somebody just won it for that cheap.

The seller could possibly be one of those lazy sellers who finds a similar past auction and just steals the pics and descriptions for their own item.

I see this all the time for run of the mill stuff....now doing it on an item of this magnitude would be downright stupid...but I don't put anything past an uneducated ebay seller these days :D haha

People generally can't search completed auctions more than a month old, you'd need a bookmark or have them in your purchase or selling history to access listing up to 3 years old.

I doubt this seller simply "found" an old listing and copied over everything.

People generally can't search completed auctions more than a month old, you'd need a bookmark or have them in your purchase or selling history to access listing up to 3 years old.

I doubt this seller simply "found" an old listing and copied over everything.

Right, but it is pretty easy to find old auctions with google for the last few years.

And I assume this is what someone would do when there would obviously be no current ones on ebay.

Don't get me wrong I lean heavily toward the listing being a sham, I just think it is a funny possibly that somebody may have won a real one for a song and a dance due to an inexperienced seller.

And that would be a zero feedback seller thing to do....hehe

Right, but it is pretty easy to find old auctions with google for the last few years.

And I assume this is what someone would do when there would obviously be no current ones on ebay.

Don't get me wrong I lean heavily toward the listing being a sham, I just think it is a funny possibly that somebody may have won a real one for a song and a dance due to an inexperienced seller.

And that would be a zero feedback seller thing to do....hehe

No not happening. If this person was smart enough to "find" an old auction of an extremely rare game they would know the value and set a reserve or something. I'm not buying some inexperienced person did this and copied and pasted someone else's description for their auction. This is a scam and seller did not care if they got $100 or $15,000.

Edited by icemanxp300

I viewed the auction and thought, "wow, that's low," but based on what others are saying, it could easily be fake. Somebody could have stumbled on a gold mine, but most likely it is fake. I guess the buyer took a gamble in the slim chance it was legit, that he/she could file a claim if it turned out to be a scam. They had better video the unboxing as the seller could easily put a slice of wood or cheap common CIB in the package as proof of shipment.