IGNORED

Wanted: 5200 Controllers (3rd party alternatives)

Amityville315

Gee, that's really helpful. Already did that and the results weren't exactly conclusive as to what the best controllers actually are. I read that my options were to:

1. Find broken controllers and replace with gold contacts

2. Use a 3rd party stick that works with the 5200 (not a lot out there and not sure what is a fair price for such a thing).

3. Pay out for new ones on Ebay

I was hoping someone might just offer me some options for sale. Isn't the the point of putting an ad up under "wanted?"

And I did research how to fix the track ball here and took a stab at repairing it.

I posted to let folks know that I'm looking to buy a controller...not to solicit sarcasm.

God bless you and have a great day.

Here's some of your options:

1. Find broken controllers and replace with gold contacts

(if you have the $)

-OR-

Find broken controllers and glue bits of foil to the rubber contacts (This is pretty cheap!)

2. Use a 3rd party stick that works with the 5200 (not a lot out there and not sure what is a fair price for such a thing).

Actually there's quite a few options here:

- Masterplay (vintage) / Redemption (available from AA for short time years ago) / lowbudget (user here on AtariAge) analog to digital adapter. These will let you use any 2600 controller with the 5200. These doesn't work with a handful of analog only games. Note that the Masterplay and Redemption need a 5200 controller attached as well for the use of the function buttons. lowbudget's adapter has the function buttons built-in.

- grips03 (user here on AtariAge) adapts a NeoGeoX controller for use with the 5200. This is also digital only.

- bohoki (user here on AtariAge) makes an adapter to use old PC joysticks with the 5200. This allows for analog control, so all games will work

- Vintage 3rd party sticks: The Wico is analog, and runs around 50$ on Ebay. Make sure it comes with the Y-cable, which is needed to attach a standard 5200 controller to use it's buttons. Or buy the Wico keypad, but it's even rarer. There's also the Competition Pro joystick (around $45 on Ebay) which is analog only, but has a Y-cable built in.

3. Pay out for new ones on Ebay

If you mean new standard controllers, I really wouldn't bother. They will likely soon have the same button issues that used controllers do, and you're right back to fixing them with foil or gold contacts.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you a place to start!

• Like 1

Find broken controllers and glue bits of foil to the rubber contacts (This is pretty cheap!)

- bohoki (user here on AtariAge) makes an adapter to use old PC joysticks with the 5200. This allows for analog control, so all games will work

Ha - I didn't even notice we were in "wanted."

Above are the 2 best choices IMO.

The adapter to use the PC joysticks is just barely more than redirecting wires. Even if you've never soldered anything before you can build your own. Bohoki has a thread in the 5200 board right now where he is offering this option. Buy his adapter and you can reverse engineer it to make your own 2nd (or 4th) one.

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up an Atari 5200 and it came only with a slightly defective track ball. I'd be interested in picking up some controllers, but would like ones that work decent. What are my options.

Thanks in advance!

Amity

I have this for sale:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232616-atari-5200-arcade-controller-for-sale/

What is the matter with the trackball? It comes apart with just a few phillips screws and there isn't really much to go wrong. It is FAR easier to disassemble than the regular controllers.

If it is the ball itself, I would recommend emory cloth and some alcohol to break down the gunk on the rollers and on the third support bearing. Then soak the trackball (same one in a Centipede arcade machine, that is why the darn thing works so well!) in a solution of Clorox and water to brighten it up some (still will be yellow but breaks down ALL the stains and spotting).

Any exposed button contacts can easily be cleaned up with a pencil eraser. Unlike the fire buttons on a regular 5200 controller that use membrane material and contact through a piece of rubber (like NES and later systems) the 5200 trackball uses pop buttons like a 2600 controller. Easy to lift the tape up, clean under them on both sides with a pencil eraser and stick them back down.

Hope that is useful to you!

Cassidy

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Ok, so half a year later, here is where I'm at:

Fixed my track ball by cribbing parts from an older one I found online. Got it working so now I can enjoy the 6 or so games it works with. Missile Command works very well as does Centipede.

Bought one refurbushed Best controller and parts to repair one one my own. Do they work? Kinda. Not well enough for me though. They just are a lousy design in my opinion. Too many times it does things I am not intending it to (walk into a wall in Berzerk, flying into cliffs in River Raid, or turning poorly in Ms. Pac-Man).

I got a Wico 5200 stick on Amazon. No Y adapter came with it. Found one of those on Ebay. Figure my problem is finally solved....nope. Wico is a wobbly mess that wont center properly. I tested it on Missile Command and it was dreadful. It's definitely got some type of issue...

Shawn here on the boards was going to sell me a custom stick that looked good, but he's from out of the US and I don't feel safe sharing my info with pay pal (had my ID stolen last year).

Any other options? I love the games but the controller issue is frustrating me to the point I might just give up the quest for the 5200

"Controller Grail."

The Wico not working was nail number three in my 5200 coffin.

Any help appreciated.