IGNORED

Pac-Man Vs. Super Mario.

I would say they are about even in name recognition. It's sort of like Pac-Man represents old school gaming and Mario is newer school. As much as this might upset the Sega fans(i'm one too) but IMHO, Sonic doesn't even come close for universal recognition.

With gamers, I'd say they are even. Maybe Mario now has the edge...

But, if we're talking universal.. If you showed non-gamers pictures of each, I'd bet more people would recognise Pac-Man by a LARGE margin!!!!

I think Pac-Man is the universal symbol for video games!!!!!

Now, if you showed them a picture of Bob Hoskins??? :-)

desiv

Sonic is very high up, references of him on the simpsons (bonestorm episode), and his being a clue in Jeopardy affirms that he is well known outside of the gaming world.

Id say that pacman is probably the most well known character, Mario and Sonic are more popular within the community. I think everyone has played a variaition of PacMan at one point or another. Whereas Super Mario Bros. requires a bit of explanation to non-gamers before trying to play it, and a lot of neophytes would die on world 1-1

True! If it's on the Simpsons, it's universal almost..

I was reading a poll of (??? can't remember the age group, but I think it was 13-28 or something like that) and they were asking for the first thing you think of with certain words.

One of the words was "religiuos" and the number 1 answer was:

Ned Flanders!!!

Followed by Jesus as a distant second.. No, I realize that the Simpson's has been on for a LONG time (And I love the show), but GIVE ME A BREAK!! :-)

And these people are our future!!!!

desiv

Nope...

I have been doing an "informal" poll of my coworkers..

All techies, none gamers...

Of the 26 people I asked, ALL recognized PacMan, 18 recognized Mario.

(There were 2 people who "recognized him, but couldn't remember his name, but it's that game their kids play" talking about Mario.. I didn't count those as YES..)

I still go back to what I said. Among gamers, Mario is probably more popular.

Among the public in general, it's not even going to be close.. PacMan by a landslide...

IMHO

desiv

p.s. Remember, almost EVERY system had Pacman. Not as many (variety, not quantity) systems had Mario..

I think Mario and Pac-Man are almost even Mario might be slightly more.  I seem to remember that when Mario Cuomo was running for Mayor of NY, they were making some comparing comments about him with the video game character.

LOL

Back in my day, the same comparisons wre being drawn for Pac Man and Lee Iacocca. Anybody remember the beginning of the video of Platoon? Lee, I don't think that you can hide behind a tree :lol:

Nope...

(There were 2 people who "recognized him, but couldn't remember his name, but it's that game their kids play" talking about Mario..  I didn't count those as YES..)

I still go back to what I said.  Among gamers, Mario is probably more popular.

Among the public in general, it's not even going to be close..  PacMan by a landslide...

IMHO

desiv

p.s.  Remember, almost EVERY system had Pacman.  Not as many (variety, not quantity) systems had Mario..

I dare you to ask your co-workers if they've heard of the following characters:

-Bentley Bear

-Charley, from "Food Fight"

-Bratty Brenda ("Bristles")

-Jack Tramiel

Unfortunatley, I'd say Mario. (I hate the little jack***.) I wish Sonic was wore known but NO.... ...Dont listen to the SEGA fans....

Although, you must admit; In a fight, Sonic would kill Mario. Actually, Sonic would kill almost any character, I mean think about it....

Lara Croft could be a challenge for him though. Thats where Knuckles comes in :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:.

Nope...

(There were 2 people who "recognized him, but couldn't remember his name, but it's that game their kids play" talking about Mario..  I didn't count those as YES..)

I still go back to what I said.  Among gamers, Mario is probably more popular.

Among the public in general, it's not even going to be close..  PacMan by a landslide...

IMHO

desiv

p.s.  Remember, almost EVERY system had Pacman.  Not as many (variety, not quantity) systems had Mario..

I'm guessing all of your coworkers were how do you say... Older... So they would reconize Pac-Man more.

>I'm guessing all of your coworkers were how do you say... Older... So they would reconize Pac-Man more.

Well, of course, they have jobs!! :-) We're talking techies, not cashiers! :-)

(Actually, most are developers, some PC techs..)

And that's my point. The bulk of the populus is "older" in that they are over 30. (I assume that's what you mean by Older.. :-) And the majority of them know more of PacMan than Mario...

Now, the majority of the genX and younger (gen-W?) crowd know Mario more, but alot of them also know PacMan...

You play the numbers, PacMan wins...

I still stand: PacMan overall, Mario for the gamerz...

desiv

p.s. Of the one's I've tried, none of my coworkers knew any of the other names.. :-) (I bet there's one guy I haven't asked who might know Tramiel tho.. :-)

While I think Pac-man is the more universally known of the two. I think

Pac is better known to older people. Since the game was the first

craze video game a lot of older folks will recall the game. However

I think Mario is the one younger people identify with. Mainly because

the series has been very sucessful for over 15 years. While for most

people Ms. Pac-Man is the last Pac game they remember. The more time

goes on the more Pac-man will be relegated to the the dust bin. Mario

will last as long as Nintendo is around.

I know we're talking about the actual characters here (Pac-Man vs. Mario), and, in that context, I believe Pac-Man is the more recognizable charcter to the public at large. However, if it's Pac-Man vs. Mario in the context of the game that first made him a star, Donkey Kong, then I would guess that the recognzition levels are much closer. Try conducting an informal poll comparing Pac-Man to Donkey Kong.

Before Mario headlined his own games, he was just a character in Donkey Kong. Therefore, among the older generation, Mario is probably synonomous(sp?) with Donkey Kong. Taking this into consideration, I think Mario is probably just as recognizable as Pac-Man. If Donkey Kong had been titled "Mario meets Kong" or simply "Mario Kong", then the name Mario alone would probably be just as recognizable as Pac-Man.

...my $.02