IGNORED

Atari 5200 - what are the best games?

Amityville315

A few of my personal favorites:

Tempest = seriously, if you have a track ball, this is the best game on the 5200.

Jr Pac Man

Super Pac Man

Star Raiders

Space Dungeon

Centipede

Millipede

Pac Man Arcade

Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator (although I think I'm coming around to thinking the 2600 version is as good if not better)

Popeye

Qix

Countermeasure

Defender

Blaster

digdug

pitfall 2 but jumping over the ants are nintendo hard

frogger 2 i just love cloud bouncing

pengo neat music (its really a complicated game you need to remember where all the frozen snowbees are you have to use strategy to link all the diamonds)

gyruss ive never made it to earth

Edited by bohoki

All of the coin-op ports are loads of fun on 5200. Pac-Man, Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, Defender, Joust, Robotron, Space Dungeon, Mario Bros, Qix, Berzerk, Frogger, Q*bert, Popeye.

Zaxxon is a bit mediocre to me. It kills my thumb and is missing too much from the coin-op.

Other favorites of mine are River Raid (great upgrade over 2600), HERO, Miner 2049'er, Pitfall II, Gremlins, and Keystone Kapers.

My top ten Atari 5200 games in no particular order are:

-Robotron 2084. A must with two controllers

- Missle Command. Awesome with the trak ball

- Qix. Perfect port from the arcade and a fun game

- Tempest. Never before released and was originally developed as a prototype. One of the best games and you must have the trak ball for it.

- Pengo. A fun and addicting game. Need strategy for this one.

- Zaxxon. Great arcade port of a great classic.

- Ms. Pac-Man. Same as above.

- Mario Bros. Did a great job with this and a faithful port. Like they made the turtles jump out to kick the shell onto them like the arcade.

- Centipede. Did a perfect job with it and the pokey chip makes it sound exact to the arcade version.

- Real Sports Baseball. One of the best vintage sports game. Great 2 player head to head game and also a voice enhanced umpire is a neat touch.

I like almost every game made for the 5200, but my favorites are:

Adventure II
Berzerk

Blueprint
Defender

Joust

Kangaroo
Pac-Man Arcade
Pole Position
Qix
Robotron: 2084
Space Dungeon
Star Raiders
Tempest

Vanguard

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It seems like the trak ball really is a must for the 5200. I have one, but I havent been able to repair it properly.

I'd like to get my hands on Frogger 2, Pitfall 2, Gremlins, Tempest and Star Trek.

I couple of the games mentioned I have, but havent tried yet: Countermeasure & Star Raiders (I dont have the overlays).

I have Gorf and Mountain King but they both are pretty weak from what I can see.

My top ten:

Space Dungeon

Space Dungeon

Space Dungeon

Space Dungeon

Space Dungeon

Space Dungeon

Space Dungeon

Space Dungeon

Space Dungeon

Space Dungeon

You are probably right as that seems to be the best original game from what I have read . I have not played it yet with a coupler and two controllers but I am sure it will rule and I plan to do that soon .

Most have been recommended, but these are my favorites to play on the 5200:

Star Raiders - This game was the reason I sought out a 5200 in the first place. Hate the 2600 version, but love the 5200 version

Blaster - Near complete prototype but it is a ton of fun and the sound is great!

Pitfall II - It is harder than the 2600 version with having to use a 5200 stock controller. But it is the only version I believe to feature the second adventure level after your beat the main game.

Satan's Hollow - It could look better I think, but it is a great conversion from the 8-bit computer line.

Missile Command - It was mentioned before, but so far this is my favorite game to play on the trak-ball.

Adventure II - Excellent homebrew that has the spirit of the original and really adds to it!

Zaxxon - It is missing several elements from the arcade, but it sure does play smoothly!

Space Dungeon - Also mentioned but this game is an exclusive to the 5200 and is a great challenge to play.

Star Wars Arcade Game - Graphically better than the 2600 version and plays smoother than the Colecovision version. It is my favorite home port of this game from the day.

Rescue on Fractalus - This is without a doubt my favorite game to play on the 5200! Shame the 7800 version never got further along...

I have Adventure 2 on the way and based on the numerous positive reviews, it seems it wont disappoint. I'm curious about the Fractalus game as well.

I have Space Dungeon and two of the controller couplers. Now that I got two working controllers, I can try it again.

I plugged in Star Raiders for a moment, it didn't blow me away with a great first impression.

Maybe I am out of my mind, but I have to strongly recommend The Dreadnaught Factor. Basically an unlicensed "Star Destroyer Takedown" game that I am just crazy about, find it addictive and fantastic. One of my favorite games for any system. Great Shooter.

After that, some of my favorite 5200 games:

Moon Patrol

Pac-Man

Space Invaders

Mario Bros

• Like 1