IGNORED

Idea for a really useful Atari project

Bryan

There are a ton of wireless routers out there that run GPL'ed firmware and can use custom builds like DD-WRT. These are basically low-cost Linux computers and firmware could be built to make them into a wireless bridge and Atari peripheral server as long as they have a serial or USB port (used with one of those sub-$10 USB to TTL serial adapters).

So, they could access network shares or a custom feeder program on another computer and wirelessly give an 8-bit access to a software archive, printers, simulated serial ports, or whatever.

Anyway, making the A8 wireless with cheap hardware seems like a cool project to me.

• Like 3

It could also be done with a Raspberry Pi but you'd need both a serial and wireless adapter.

I have the Raspberry Pi (which - incidentally - runs a fairly recent version of the Atari800 emulator pretty well, I might add). I wonder if I can get Qt Creator to compile an ARM version of AspeQt or the recent fork RespeQt? Hmmm ... :)

I have the Raspberry Pi (which - incidentally - runs a fairly recent version of the Atari800 emulator pretty well, I might add). I wonder if I can get Qt Creator to compile an ARM version of AspeQt or the recent fork RespeQt? Hmmm ... :)

I've run Aspeqt on the Pi.. does not run very well. It'll work, at slower speeds, but using the GUI was pretty painful. I would guess the quad core PI woudl handle it fine.

I don't think we should use a GUI on these small devices. Possibly add a tab to the DD-WRT configuration web page to control it. Maybe use the core parts of RespeQt stripped to the bare bones for speed and small footprint.

The routing function (and a whole bunch of others) in DD-WRT could be removed, and R: -> Telnet and P: server added along with SIO protocol disk server.

There is an easy way to add SD card storage to a WRT54G, I've done it. Just a few wires.

It would need to connect wirelessly to an existing access point. All the ports on the back could be used to connect other cat5 ethernet cables to other devices that don't have wireless.

I hope this makes at least some sense, my brain is running faster than my typing fingers right now... :)

I don't think we should use a GUI on these small devices. Possibly add a tab to the DD-WRT configuration web page to control it. Maybe use the core parts of RespeQt stripped to the bare bones for speed and small footprint.

Yeah, I thought about this some more....

A minimal DD-WRT-like web interface basically allowing you to connect to an access point and configure the various emulations and services. Some images could be loaded into local memory if used often.

Many routers have additional buttons or mode switches and one of them could cause D1 to swap to an A8 configuration utility so you don't always have to be logged into a browser to change things.

There could also be a PC app to quickly load and swap images easier than a browser interface could.

Ive been using a WRT54GS for like 5 years as a wifi terminal server, etc. I just hacked a serial port on the side with a $1.50 max232e chip from china and a db9 port. Installed OpenWRT, and in addition to being able to telnet anywhere, It runs Weechat (which is a pretty extensive TEXT-ONLY IRC client), Links (Text-only web browser), and even a text-only pop/smtp based email client. Theres probably a bunch more applications for it, but that's what I have used on it so far. I also hacked a 4gig SD card inside it for additional space but haven't needed to scratch the surface of it yet.. Ive used the thing with my ATARIs and my APPLE II machines.