IGNORED

can 2600 games be played on a 7800 console?

Nall3k

Yes they can

Well, I think the more correct answer is yes and no. There are a few that don't work: Robot Tank, Decathlon, Space Shuttle, Time Pilot, Kool-Aid Man, and I believe that the Supercharger won't work either. I believe it also depends on what 7800 you have. The older the deck, the more likely the game will work. I also noticed that I can't get my copy of Pitfall 2 to work on my 7800, but yet it works fine on my 2600. Not sure if this is another one, or if something else is wrong.

Yes they can

Well, I think the more correct answer is yes and no. There are a few that don't work: Robot Tank, Decathlon, Space Shuttle, Time Pilot, Kool-Aid Man, and I believe that the Supercharger won't work either. I believe it also depends on what 7800 you have. The older the deck, the more likely the game will work. I also noticed that I can't get my copy of Pitfall 2 to work on my 7800, but yet it works fine on my 2600. Not sure if this is another one, or if something else is wrong.

Yes, incompatibility does depend on what 7800 unit you have (expansion port??). I'd like to add that Tigervision carts that lack the retractable plastic dust cover will not fit into a 7800.

look here for more info:

http://www.atariage.com/7800/faq/?SystemID=7800#cat3_3

Yes they can

Yes, incompatibility does depend on what 7800 unit you have (expansion port??). I'd like to add that Tigervision carts that lack the retractable plastic dust cover will not fit into a 7800.

look here for more info:

http://www.atariage.com/7800/faq/?SystemID=7800#cat3_3

I also noticed that I can't get my copy of Pitfall 2 to work on my 7800, but yet it works fine on my 2600.

Strangely, I have the opposite experience... Pitfall 2 plays fine on my 7800, but I can't get it to work reliably on my 2600!

The short answer, though, is that yes, the 7800 was designed for backwards compatibility with the 2600.

I think most of the software issues are with games that were developed by third parties after the 7800 system was designed in 1984. And of course, there's the matter, mentioned above, of some third parties' cartridge case designs being physically unable to fit into the 7800's slot.

I will take this as yet another opportunity to encourage people on the forums to really explore the wealth of information that's available on this site! The answers to this and thousands of other questions are all available...

I also noticed that I can't get my copy of Pitfall 2 to work on my 7800, but yet it works fine on my 2600.

Strangely, I have the opposite experience... Pitfall 2 plays fine on my 7800, but I can't get it to work reliably on my 2600!

That is weird. Mine works perfectly on the 2600, but all I get is either a black screen or a screen with white wavey lines if I try it on my 7800. Very weird indeed.

That is weird.  Mine works perfectly on the 2600, but all I get is either a black screen or a screen with white wavey lines if I try it on my 7800.  Very weird indeed.

What happens for me on the 2600 is the kind of glitchy display I am accustomed to having happen on some games on the 7800 or ColecoVision, where the sprites get all screwed up and a bunch of garbage flickers on the screen as objects move.

I have NEVER seen this happen on a 2600 game, except for Pitfall 2 and Miniature Golf.

Back in the early '80s, I had a friend who had a ColecoVision, and this was a regular issue for him, but I thought the 2600 was immune to it until I got the two aforementioned carts last year. I have also had it happen with some, but not all, of my 7800 cartridges.