IGNORED

Super Mario Bros?

P!xel

Learn to master the Koopa spam 1up trick on the steps of World 3-1 if you can't make it through because you die too much. Don't over do it or you will game over if you acquire more than 127 lives.

Good advice, but I actually consider the Koopa Spam thing as cheating since you get so many unfair lives so I'm gonna skip that, but thanks anyway!

Tip for surviving 8-2: There is a 1up hidden about the springboard. It respawns every time you restart the stage. You need to follow underneath dodging turtles as it moves across the cieling. Be quick so that it does not fall down the pit or go offscreen. Do everything in your power to collect it as you may need to retread the course. There is a long chasm towards the end of the level following a pipe. Many people die here. It is a requirement to long jump this pit while running in order to clear it. Stand on the left edge of the pipe and hold B. Press right. If done properly, MArio will cross the small gap between the two pieces of land. While holding B, press A right as Mario lands on the last land. Hold A for the entire duration of the jump. If performed correctly, you will land on the other side of the chasm near a pipe. There is a coin room hidden here. Best not to take it because it wastes precious time needed to finish the level.

This helps a lot, thank you so much! I always die in that stupid pit when I use the warp zones, it's almost impossible.

Confession: I have never beaten Mario 2, 3, or World without cheats.

Seriously? How hard are they?! My next game is probably going to be the third one. Does it have a save feature?

Also yeah I'm using an old thick TV so I assume that wouldn't be considered modern, it doesn't have lag, but I'm gonna keep practicing. Thanks again ^ ^

Good advice, but I actually consider the Koopa Spam thing as cheating since you get so many unfair lives so I'm gonna skip that, but thanks anyway!

This helps a lot, thank you so much! I always die in that stupid pit when I use the warp zones, it's almost impossible.

Seriously? How hard are they?! My next game is probably going to be the third one. Does it have a save feature?

Also yeah I'm using an old thick TV so I assume that wouldn't be considered modern, it doesn't have lag, but I'm gonna keep practicing. Thanks again ^ ^

If you have Super Mario All Stars for the SNES then there is a save feature for Mario 2 and 3. Mario 2 changes the format. You pick up veggies and hurl them at enemies and pick most enemies up and throw them at another. I personally enjoy it. Mario 3 is just like the first. But more levels, cool item features, cool multiplayer battle games, etc. 3 is a long game but very short if you know where the warp whistles are. At 1-3 you squat for a few seconds on the large white platform near the end and race to the end. And in the World 1 fortress get the leaf and at the end of the first section. Watch for the dry bones and stomp on it then run back and forth til your meter is charged and fly to the top and walk to the end and press up to enter a door. You are off screen though, then you will fall into a room where a warp whistle is boxed. Then use the first whistle, it will take you to world 9. Then use your second, you will go to world 8. 8 is pretty tough. You fight through tanks, battleships, hand traps, etc before fighting Bowser. Just rack up points and play the card games to enhance your item inventory. 3 is a great game.

If you have Super Mario All Stars for the SNES then there is a save feature for Mario 2 and 3. Mario 2 changes the format. You pick up veggies and hurl them at enemies and pick most enemies up and throw them at another. I personally enjoy it. Mario 3 is just like the first. But more levels, cool item features, cool multiplayer battle games, etc. 3 is a long game but very short if you know where the warp whistles are. At 1-3 you squat for a few seconds on the large white platform near the end and race to the end. And in the World 1 fortress get the leaf and at the end of the first section. Watch for the dry bones and stomp on it then run back and forth til your meter is charged and fly to the top and walk to the end and press up to enter a door. You are off screen though, then you will fall into a room where a warp whistle is boxed. Then use the first whistle, it will take you to world 9. Then use your second, you will go to world 8. 8 is pretty tough. You fight through tanks, battleships, hand traps, etc before fighting Bowser. Just rack up points and play the card games to enhance your item inventory. 3 is a great game.

I've actually played 2 before and I own 3 but I'm focusing on 1 first. Thanks for the advice though, I'll be sure to use it.

Mario 2 is pretty challenging though, Birdo is a dick in that game. xD

I still want to do a proper conversion of Vs. SMB (the Vs. levels and the SMB2J ending etc. added into the original SMB). ;)

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1014/

You're Welcome ;)

More VS hacks...

http://nes.goondocks.se/patches2.php

I have the discontinued RetroUSB repro of VS Mario with on cart DIP switches. World 6 is a b!tch. Separates the men from the boys. Or women from the girls. No offence to P!xel. ;)

Edited by stardust4ever
  • Like 1

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1014/

You're Welcome icon_wink.gif

More VS hacks...

http://nes.goondocks.se/patches2.php

I have the discontinued RetroUSB repro of VS Mario with on cart DIP switches. World 6 is a b!tch. Separates the men from the boys. Or women from the girls. No offence to P!xel. icon_wink.gif

I wasn't talking about simply bashing on the arcade ROM to get it to run on an NES. I was talking about making it look like a proper NES game, no "insert coin" (rather "1 Player Game, 2 Player Game"), no virtual (or real) DIP switches, etc. I knew about the RetroUSB repro, and was trying to clearly differentiate what I wanted from that (although I thought that by referring to adding SMB2J code into SMB1, I was being clear enough in saying what I meant).

Cool.With some practice I got to 7-4 today without any warps or cheats. But I couldn't figure out the right path through this castle. I don't recall even getting this far as a kid just playing straight through without tricks. All it takes is practice.

If you think that 2-3 is hard, try 7-3. It's the same but with more flying fish as well as koopa troopas getting in the way.

Cool.With some practice I got to 7-4 today without any warps or cheats. But I couldn't figure out the right path through this castle. I don't recall even getting this far as a kid just playing straight through without tricks. All it takes is practice.

If you think that 2-3 is hard, try 7-3. It's the same but with more flying fish as well as koopa troopas getting in the way.

This should help ;-)

post-32978-0-25158800-1437509010_thumb.png

I can't beat this game. I can't beat it and without warp zones I can barley make it to world 4.

I hate that stupid fish jumping level where it's basically run through the stage crossing your fingers you survive, and tough luck if you die, it's basically luck.

Also Mario can only get touched twice even at his biggest state before he dies and with all the obstacles flying everywhere it's almost impossible to dodge everything, let alone 32 levels of it.

Any advice? Any at all?

Am I doing something wrong because everyone thinks this game is easy as hell but it's way harder than pokemon and the newer Mario games?

Just keep practicing. A lot. It's only easy for people who've played it a million times already. :)

Also, if you're using your thumb to hit the A and B buttons, consider using the two fingers next to your thumbs, one on each button, instead. Give you much more control once you get used to it.

You should try Lost Level :)

I'm not normally a gaming Maschocist or even a fan of stupid hard games, but I love the way Lost Levels repeatedly kicks my ass! :evil:

I recommend the All Stars variant if you have it. You can save and restart after every level instead of every world like Super Mario Bros. If you can make it through the first world of Lost Levels, you can beat Mario 1. In later stages they have you blindly leaping across a long pit, then hopping off a paratrooper's back to make it to safety. It's bat-shit insane but not TAS impossible like those cheap phony rom hacks...

Edited by stardust4ever

P!xel's a girl, dude.

Sorry about that, P!xel!

Also are you using a retro CRT TV? If using an HDTV to play analog games, lag may be a factor.

Good luck... ;)

Analog games? Huh? NES is digital (8-bit) as are pretty much all post-PONG programmable consoles. Maybe you are talking about the analog RF signal to the TV?

Analog games? Huh? NES is digital (8-bit) as are pretty much all post-PONG programmable consoles. Maybe you are talking about the analog RF signal to the TV?

Output is analog signal. Of course the software is digital but digital AV signals are mixed internally and raw digital cannot be easily extrapolated without the use of breakout boards.