IGNORED

HSC12 Round 12: Pitfall II

Great work SHiNjide :thumbsup: 2 more bonus points well earned.

I had a good session today - very rusty but I figured out the first part 130,874 (will play again to improve score at the weekend)

The Lost Caverns were not as hard as I thought they were (impossible) but still hard! Got up to 197,441 - managed to get the trumpet thing but that was about it, kept trying to reach the man but without success. Eventually I powered off. All this was without maps but I probably should use one for the 2nd part at least.

post-19705-0-29549900-1438721674_thumb.jpgpost-19705-0-50625100-1438721679_thumb.jpg

Superb music keeps you going :music:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scoring for 2nd part will be on achievements (items found/reached etc) so please list them. Bonus point for the best net score: the difference between your score for the first part and the maximum you reach. Anyone completing the 2nd part will earn a Big 5 bonus points :)

Tables UPDATED

p.s. round 13 poll will go on tomorrow

Edited by therealbountybob

Does anyone have any hints and/or tips to pass the bats and condors on a fairly consistent basis? I use blind luck, which works, and will let me finish the first level (eventually), but with a terrible score. I'd like to be able to pass-by the miserable flying rodent and the bird at every time I try to make my way past them.

Does anyone have any hints and/or tips to pass the bats and condors on a fairly consistent basis? I use blind luck, which works, and will let me finish the first level (eventually), but with a terrible score. I'd like to be able to pass-by the miserable flying rodent and the bird at every time I try to make my way past them.

The bird you need to wait for the wing to go up so watch the wing only - I usually run towards it then run away and duck back - probably easier on PAL eh? The bats are not so bad on the first part again, run towards then run away and duck back under when they get to the right height. Often you can minimise danger by lurking on the ladders and can spring up and run to the edge of the screen before the bat comes back on. You might notice Harry doesn't go right to the edge of the screen but the bat does. What is nice is you can move on each rung so for the frogs you can go down 4 rungs.

This will make you all smile - With an eye on the perfect score: after a few restarts I had a good go, no falls, and got to the top guy only to realise I forgot the ring. So, thinking collecting him would end the go I went back round only to not remember how to get the ring - even though on my first go the other day I remembeed you had to jump across the chasm.... so I collected the man only for the game not to end as I hadn't got the ring so round again and got frogged and by by perfect go! Improved to 184,665. Wasn't up to much on the Lost Caverns so packed up as I was getting :mad: :-D

The bird you need to wait for the wing to go up so watch the wing only [...] The bats are not so bad on the first part again

Thanks for the tips on getting past the condors and bats on the First Cavern (I don't think that there is any sure way to get past the baddies on the Second Cavern). I'll try your hints and see what I can do. Using the ladder, when possible, has always been the easiest way to get ahead of the bats and the frogs. I've been doing that since my Commodore 64 days back in 1984/85 when I received "Pitfall II" for my birthday (along with "Zork I;" that was a good game year for me!).

got to the top guy only to realise I forgot the ring.

I thought I was the only one to make the mistake of forgetting the Raj Diamond (the ring)! When I made my way to Quickclaw the first time, I luckily didn't make it to him (due to frustration from dying repeatedly on my way past all the condors and bats). I say "luckily didn't make it" because I realized after I started over later that I had forgotten to collect the Raj Diamond before I made my way up toward Quickclaw. If I'd made it to the top without it, I would have been so angry with myself. I probably would have thrown my joystick against the wall-- and I never do that... anymore. Then, after calming down a bit, I would have pulled my controller gently out of the sheetrock and played the "Pitfall II" again. Now, that's a good game!

• Like 1

I finally beat the first cavern! I can't believe it took me to the last day of gameplay. I beat it during the round using save states, just to do it, and it's a hollow felling. Today I set my mind to it, and I was cursing so much that my wife asked me, "Is there a reason that you have to play that game when I'm home?" My answer was given between my repeated use of the F-word, and said to her with sincerity (I hope), "Yes. Today there is a reason; I have to get my high score!"

Pitfall II - 160,947 (NTSC, Emulation)

post-4925-0-97475700-1439142181_thumb.gif

I died so many times on my way up to Quickclaw that I only beat my previous high score this round (not posted) by about a thousand points. That score of about 159,000 points was reached without dying and right before making my way to Quickclaw. Now that I've beat it, I still have the Cavern Two to play, but I've no time for that. It's time to go get fitted for a tux for my brother's September wedding-- and that's a relief, I'll tell you: I have severe joystick fatigue. At least I didn't throw the joystick at the wall (as I joked I might), but I did come mighty close to doing that-- no kidding. At least I beat the first cavern with a score, and I don't think I've ever done that before. Of course, I did have to restart countless times.

I expect I'll play the Second Cavern this week even after this round ends to see how well I can do. Nice round. I hope everyone cursed as much as I did... and enjoyed doing it just the same!

(I think everyone that posted a score would have earned a patch. Hooray!)

• Like 1

I didn't have too much time to play the Second Cavern in "Pitfall 2." I only collected two bars of gold. Here's my top score:

Pitfall II (Second Cavern) - 170,747 (NTSC, Emulation)

post-4925-0-98952900-1439228349_thumb.gif

If you've wondering where Pitfall Harry is in this picture, he has "disappeared." I paused the game the moment I died from the ultra-fast-moving ant on the screen (a split-second after points began to be subtracted)-- which I why you don't see poor Harry. He's on his way back to the cross-- although why I can't see him... that's sort of a mystery to me too.

I'd still like to beat the the Second Cavern on my own, but I'll do that another day... and I know I'll end up with zero points. That's okay, it's still fun!

• Like 1

Congratulations to SHiNjide for winning the round :thumbsup: with a perfect score no less :thumbsup:

Now it's nice that someone else has won a round but don't think it will happen again :P ;) Well done to everyone who completed the first part :thumbsup: Pitfall II remains a very nice game, the Lost Caverns look doable (on PAL at least) - seems you have to be in the right mood for tacking them as sometimes I was ok and got quite far and others not at all. The hack will let players explore the game further too (see first few posts). I made it 1pt for playing the 2nd part with 1pt bonus per special item - hope this is ok. Thanks for playing guys :)

Final table

Pitfall II

1st SHiNjide (p) 199,900 12pts+1pt*+2pts**
2nd therealbountybob (p) 184,665 11pts
3rd McKong (p) 174,000 10pts

4th jblenkle (n) 166,538 9pts

5th ballyalley (n) 160,947 8pts

6th roadrunner (n) 141,420 7pts

7th sleepy (n) 103,233 6pts
*bonus first person to complete Part I.

**bonus perfect score Part I

Part II - The Lost Caverns net score + 1pt per special item*