IGNORED

Early Genesis game "launch windows"...

CGQuarterly

Hey guys,

I've been doing research trying to get an idea of around when each of the early Genesis games was actually released. This has included scouring Usenet posts, sales ads, and forum threads (including here!). I've put together a spreadsheet with windows of time for each game, along with the claimed (but unsubstantiated) release date for each according to Wikipedia and GameFAQs. Basically I am just trying to narrow down these windows as much as possible, which is the best we can really hope for since games didn't have hard street dates back then. Some of the games I have down to a 2-week window, which is very good, but others can still be improved-upon quite a bit.
Basically what I am looking for is any information that anyone has that can help narrow these down. Like your birthday is November 15th and you know for sure that you got games A & B that day, or whatever. Vague memories are not really going to help, but something more concrete would be great.
I am going to want to continue with later games, going into February 1990 and beyond, so if anyone wants to chime in on those then that would be great, too.
Thanks!
Chris
Edit: I'll just add that those early and late limit dates are not really set in stone, either. They are just based on what concrete information I could find.
Genesis%20Releases.jpg

got thunder force 2 and Revenge of shinobi along with my Genesis on christmas of 1989.I remember renting Rambo 3 After christmas,not sure of month tho(pretty sure it was after new years).i also remember buying super hang on like during the spring or summer of 1990.

Edited by tunamelt

Hey guys,

I've been doing research trying to get an idea of around when each of the early Genesis games was actually released. This has included scouring Usenet posts, sales ads, and forum threads (including here!). I've put together a spreadsheet with windows of time for each game, along with the claimed (but unsubstantiated) release date for each according to Wikipedia and GameFAQs. Basically I am just trying to narrow down these windows as much as possible, which is the best we can really hope for since games didn't have hard street dates back then. Some of the games I have down to a 2-week window, which is very good, but others can still be improved-upon quite a bit.
Basically what I am looking for is any information that anyone has that can help narrow these down. Like your birthday is November 15th and you know for sure that you got games A & B that day, or whatever. Vague memories are not really going to help, but something more concrete would be great.
I am going to want to continue with later games, going into February 1990 and beyond, so if anyone wants to chime in on those then that would be great, too.
Thanks!
Chris
Edit: I'll just add that those early and late limit dates are not really set in stone, either. They are just based on what concrete information I could find.
Genesis%20Releases.jpg

I too got my Genesis X-mas of 1989. The games I got that morning with it were (other than the included Altered Beast) Rambo III and Ghouls'n Ghosts

• Like 1

zoom was released in march/april 1990 at around the same time as phantasy star ii and herzog zwei. alex kidd in enchanted castle was released at the same time as those three games.

Do you have a source for any of that information? As is shown on my spreadsheet, Alex Kidd was spotted in-store by someone on January 31.

Edited by Jibbajaba

Do you have a source for any of that information? As is shown on my spreadsheet, Alex Kidd was spotted in-store by someone on January 31.

here's a thread about early genesis games: http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?111913-Games-that-did-and-did-not-launch-with-the-Sega-Genesis-in-September-1989/page2&s=8b04341b4b095a1d8e7677d15375ae85 the first reply on the second page begs to differ

That post says that Alex Kidd came out in the first half of 1990. How does that beg to differ with my date of January 31?

It's cool, man. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. I'm just looking for any information that will allow me to move the flags on that spreadsheet. For instance, in that thread that you linked, someone had a specific memory of buying Forgotten Worlds on Dec. 26 (presumably shopping with some X-Mas money the next day.) That's pretty good information because it's based on a pretty firm memory, so I will go ahead and change the date on the spreadsheet for that game.

I mean, really this is all going to be based on some pretty loose information, but some information is better for sure.

also, by early genesis games, what time does the games go up to? up to the release of sonic 1?

Right now I am just looking at the games that are already on the spreadsheet (because I'm trying to figure out which games did and didn't actually come out in 1989), but eventually I want to try to figure out the release window of every single Genesis game, so I can put them into chronological order. That's more of a long-term goal though.

Chris, the only one I really question on that list is Mystic Defender.

I seem to recall playing this with my good friend on New Year's break - '89, '90 - from school.

This good friend did work at a "mom & pop" videogame store. Maybe he had a early copy?????

I guess I'm not really clear on what you're questioning. The window that I have right now on that spreadsheet for Mystic Defender is 11/30/89 - 02/20/90. So your Winter break from school would fall right in the middle of that.

Chris,

I bought my Genny at launch, at Lionel Play World in Miami, Florida. (Westchester location). And I still have the original box, sales receipts, etc. for the system & subsequent cartridges I purchased. It may help a little bit with your research.

I will do my best to search through the boxes & get you the information soon. I can even post pics of the receipts to show the dates.

Chris,

I bought my Genny at launch, at Lionel Play World in Miami, Florida. (Westchester location). And I still have the original box, sales receipts, etc. for the system & subsequent cartridges I purchased. It may help a little bit with your research.

I will do my best to search through the boxes & get you the information soon. I can even post pics of the receipts to show the dates.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!! That would be great! It would help more than a little bit!

I haven't had much luck with this.

I just wanted to give you some kind of an update, rather then leave you hanging.

I have been unable to find the box of papers that I know contains all those receipts.

But I did find one of them, that happened to be misplaced from the others.

However, it was not from the systems launch in late 1989, rather from a few months later in 1990.

I took a couple pics to show you what these receipts are, and how they could prove helpful, once I find them.

post-17556-0-87197100-1439300658_thumb.jpg

post-17556-0-07189900-1439300670_thumb.jpg