IGNORED

Fitting custom files on to the SDX ROM

morelenmir

It seems the largest individual file that can be added to the SDX user area with "SDX Imager" is 8K. Some programmes that are larger than this are split between a small executable *.COM file and then several *.OVL files - FJC's excellent 'FDISK' is a good example.

Is the process of creating these segmented files a generic one that can be applied to every executable or does the programme have to be written from scratch in such a way as to allow being physically broken up and then 'reassembled' at runtime?

I ask because I would like to add the 'flash.com' for "The!Cart" images to the SDX rom which resides on the "Ultimate1MB". Unfortunately it comes in at 11kB and is therefore too large to insert in one piece.

An ordinary binary (of the $FFFF-type) can probably be broken into segments or such parts, then loaded/executed by a separate dedicated loader (or wrapper). In any case, such a loader should be prepared individually for the program, I doubt if the process can be fully automated.

• Like 2

An ordinary binary (of the $FFFF-type) can probably be broken into segments or such parts, then loaded/executed by a separate dedicated loader (or wrapper). In any case, such a loader should be prepared individually for the program, I doubt if the process can be fully automated.

In my mind I can kind of see what would be required to do this, but I can also imagine how it would need to be done individually if that s the approach. But as you say there is no 'OVLMake' utility to do it for you.

Incidentally, although it is only applicable to my own case it is worth mentioning that after speaking to the chap who makes 'The!Cart' it turns out the flasher is also resident on the cartridge itself at all times - so my idea was unnecessary anyway!

Incidentally - I have just downloaded and printed up the SDX 'Programming Guide'. It makes absolutely fascinating reading and opens many possibilities I was not previously aware of. Many, many thanks for putting it together. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in writing assembler for this environment, which these days forms pretty much the de facto D/OS of modern A8 machines.

• Like 1

Drac030's command of English is superior to that of many for whom English is the first language, for that matter.

Bonus LIKE to FJC for proper usage of "for whom." :)

EDIT: Also, cool that this was your 9,999th post!

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 3