IGNORED

If it can be done on the 2600...

Opry99er

...Shouldn't we be able to do it on the TI?

http://youtu.be/0DpR2SS5DX8

Brilliant BRILLIANT homebrew by a fellow AAer.

Sure would love to see a TI cartridge version of this game... I lack the required skillset, but would love to see someone do it.

This is the best version of Asteroids I have seen on a retro console...

• Like 3

...Shouldn't we be able to do it on the TI?

http://youtu.be/0DpR2SS5DX8

Brilliant BRILLIANT homebrew by a fellow AAer.

Sure would love to see a TI cartridge version of this game... I lack the required skillset, but would love to see someone do it.

This is the best version of Asteroids I have seen on a retro console...

I know there has been a few Asteroid time games for the TI-99. One was called 'asTIroids' and there is one for download on TI Gameshelf under the assembly games area called 'Asteroids'.

I have not ever played either of them. But it may be good to look at to see.

Even without coprocessing, the Atari 2600 has the ability to update the entire display every frame -- in fact it actually has to. This makes such things as raster effects and multiplexing much easier than on a system with a dedicated VDP like the TI (not to mention fast video effects). So while many things on the 2600 should be doable, many of the more advanced tricks would be difficult to reproduce exactly. :)

Something that really blew me away was an actual emulation of Asteroids on the C64/Plus4, a bit faster on the plus/4 due to 1.76mhz cpu.

Arcade version 6502 cpu makes the emulation possible of course, but in no way would I expect this possible on the TI.

• Like 1

Something that really blew me away was an actual emulation of Asteroids on the C64/Plus4, a bit faster on the plus/4 due to 1.76mhz cpu.

Arcade version 6502 cpu makes the emulation possible of course, but in no way would I expect this possible on the TI.

This one has a good version on the 9918A (graphic chip in the TI-99/4A) ...

;)

• Like 2

While I'm not familiar with the TI, based on games like Time Pilot on the ColecoVision (which looks like it uses the same video chip as the TI), you should be able to move around enough objects for a decent Asteroids game. You also don't have to handle the worst case scenario of 50 sprites moving around - the arcade game doesn't always split asteroids in 2.

Be aware Space Rocks has an ARM processor behind it.

Due to the way the Atari's designed, where the 6507 drives the graphics in real time, the 6507 only gets to spend about 26% of it's time on game logic. That's based on 262 scanlines with 192 lines of game screen and 3 lines for VSYNC, or (262-3-192)/262 = 25.6%.

The ARM and the 6507 can't run game code at the same time, so the ARM gets even less time because of the overhead involved with setting up the call to the ARM code, plus the time to position the 5 moveable objects after the ARM code has run(say about 13 scanlines for all) (262-3-192-13)/262 = 20.6%.

If you want to draw a larger screen, such as Space Rocks which outputs 201, you get even less ARM time for game logic: (262-3-201-13)/262 = 17%.

Thanks for posting here!!!

For those of you who don't know, Spiceware is the author of Space Rocks... The game in the video from the first post.

Spiceware, the TI has quite a bit of processing power. Check out some of the Rasmus game cartridges like Road Hunter, Jet Set Willy, etc.

The TMS9900 processor has some amazing qualities and can achieve some impressive speed in the right hands.

There are a couple Asteroids-esque clones for the TI, but none take advantage of the full capabilities of our system.

Many here are extremely knowledgable on the architecture of both the CPU and VDP processors... I am not that guy.

;)