IGNORED

Gatefold Box Cases?

toymailman

I had never seen these before, but won these four in an auction recently. They must have been used to hold the gatefolds closed while hanging at the stores waiting to be purchased.

Do these exist for all 9 of the gatefolds?

attachicon.gif2600_Gatefold-Cases.JPG

So you're the one who bid on that auction. I asked the seller to tell me the games. Can you scan the front and back of each of these boxes please? I was so tempted to bid but I'm unemployed and after 6 weeks still waiting to see the money. Unemployment sucks and they do everything in their power not to give you money. My guess is that all 9 were probably made.

In the thread I posted about needing scans, I linked that auction and asked about it, but no one actually responded.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

I will get scans up hopefully this week.

I saw these in the auction and wondered what they are. I thought they might be some late release variant, or games put in a generic box, but when I got them then I thought they were even cooler.

The seller was good and packaged evefything well and that auction in general was a really good find. Even though none of the games are rare one, they are mostly in near mint condition! I am sure as I go through them then I will be able to upgrade some of what I have. Manuals look unused and most come with that green warranty card and mint game catalog.

In a couple of games there was also a registration like card from "Paragon Entertainment?" Hadn't seen one of these before either. I'll scan this as well.

Wow - wonder what the story is behind those? Can't believe this is the first time many of us are seeing or hearing about them. Must have been produced in super low numbers.

At first glance, looked like they were marketing them the way TI and Bally did - with the manual in front as the display or "silent salesman" as we used to say. lol

This is the first I've ever heard of these as well. Very cool!

I'd guess there were just a few different ones. Red for Air-Sea Battle and Star Ship (and Combat?), orange for Street Racer (Indy 500 had its own hang tag as mentioned), yellow for Video Olympics, green for Surround and Blackjack, and blue for Basic Math.

I love that no matter how long you've been around, and just when you start to think you've seen everything, something random and previously unknown, like this, turns up. :)

It's actually almost unbelievable that all the big collectors here have never seen these before

Not all :-D

They show up very infrequently on ebay and are very hard to spot in lots. Pretty obvious when they are listed individually:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-2600-11-INDY-500-Complete-19-CX2611-/231632111501?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=Yt7VeZW%252BRPuHTvcBO0056Clag30%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I have picked up several over the years. Most I paid was for the Basic Math version since it is normally expensive anyway.

My guess is more will show up (and go for more $) now that more people will be looking for them.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the scans. I'm assuming the inside boxes were the normal gatefold issues.So these are more of a shell for the gatefold. I'm probably going to list it as such, as the titles themselves are not on the actual box. The Indy 500 is different as the actual name is printed on the hang tag box. I'd be curious if there was a shell box for Indy 500 without the controllers, and just the gatefold.

Edited by Philflound