IGNORED

ColecoVision A/V modifications

WozzyCat

I've searched the web for ColecoVision A/V mods and there appears to be a few different (yet similar) DIY instructions on how to do this, as well as a number of different self install a/v mod kits out there available for purchase.

I am good with the soldering iron as well as with the Dremel tool (so a DIY rough and ready from scratch, as well as self install mod kits are within the scope of my abilities).

Any suggestions and/or recommendations regarding this type of mod by anybody here who has already gone this route?

Anything to avoid/watch out for?

I am looking to squeeze out the best possible looking video (Composite and/or S-Video) from my ColecoVision.

F18A with VGA out, plus one of these...

post-28334-0-47208200-1439307829_thumb.jpg

...will bring your ColecoVision into the modern era. With my HDMI out, SGM installed, pause switch, and heavy ball knobs installed, I like to call mine a Super ColecoVision. :grin:

The next time I perform a mod, I'd like to wire USB power directly to the Hammerhead, so that I can install the adapter inside the CV case.

A quick video of gameplay with the F18A.

• Like 2

attachicon.gif61MRemyvH1L._SL1040_.jpg

...will bring your ColecoVision into the modern era. With my HDMI out, SGM installed, pause switch, and heavy ball knobs installed, I like to call mine a Super ColecoVision. :grin:

The next time I perform a mod, I'd like to wire USB power directly to the Hammerhead, so that I can install the adapter inside the CV case.

A CV modded with an F18A with an additional HDMI adapter like you pictured is the ultimate in CV video upgrades. It can be a little pricey for some, but the benefits of VGA and then HDMI video output make it a dream machine especially since this setup eliminates all sprite flicker.

You can also do some research on the Yurkie RGB Video Mod, but it's only available as a mod service performed by Yurkie himself so you have to send your system to him or buy a system from him that has already been modded. As Yurkie has reported, this video mod also eliminates sprite flicker and also comes with his Composite Video Mod installed. Lots of options included here.

For a quick and easy as well as very easy and affordable video mod, definetelely go with the Yurkie Composite Mod PCB.

attachicon.gif61MRemyvH1L._SL1040_.jpg

I like the idea of internal mod. CV already has +5vDC to power the adapter.

F18A is the best, its VGA however.

Yeah, my only VGA (actually SVGA) monitor from the late 1990s is slowly....no make that, quickly dying...it's a Sony PC computer monitor and the color has almost disappeared, it's mostly a very dull washed out almost monochrome display right now. So for me, SVGA compatible is pretty much obsolete. My old SVGA monitor is probably going to the electronics recycler within a few weeks.

My main modern day LED/LCD monitors have HDMI inputs as well as Component Video Inputs (these are both Sony PlayStation PS3 3D Displays)...and I have a bunch of older CRT displays which have composite inputs and svideo inputs (Sony and also Commodore and one Woolco Ultra /really Daewoo/ brand tv).....plus i have an adapter/converter which takes composite/svideo and converts it into HDMI.