IGNORED

High Score Competition (Sep: Osotos)

arcadeshopper

On 4/5/2023 at 11:03 PM, Vorticon said:

"At the beginning of any level, function "5" (proceed) will advance to the level. There is a way to go to any level, but we will leave it up to you to find it. If you get desperate, write us. All levels are solvable."

Tantalizing :) Anyone figured it out?

After the 1st play screen is loaded (do not move), then press 

SHIFT 3 and the level number (see in TI RUNNER version II they write it on the screen in French Language)

(but it is a bit trying)

Edited by globeron
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jetset said:

Can't seem to get the RUNR_ARC.bin from Gameshelf website to run. I have a finalgrom and a 32k side. My TI won't recognize the file.

It is not a ROM.  From the same page:

Requirements:Editor/Assembler cartridge, 32K RAM, disk drive. Joysticks optional.
Executable to run: TI-RUNNER (EA option #3)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

It is not a ROM.  From the same page:

It's a bin file - those are the file types that run on the cart aren't they? I'm not quite knowledgeable with the technical side. Is there any way to run on real hardware?

5 minutes ago, jetset said:

It's a bin file - those are the file types that run on the cart aren't they? I'm not quite knowledgeable with the technical side. Is there any way to run on real hardware?

It is a bin file out of necessity of the web server.  The only way to play it on real iron is to transfer the bin file to a real disk, or re-image the dsk file onto a real disk.  Otherwise, you are stuck running it in emulation.  (It might be possible to convert it to a cartridge file the FG can run, but that is above my pay grade.)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

It is a bin file out of necessity of the web server.  The only way to play it on real iron is to transfer the bin file to a real disk, or re-image the dsk file onto a real disk.  Otherwise, you are stuck running it in emulation.  (It might be possible to convert it to a cartridge file the FG can run, but that is above my pay grade.)

Gotcha! Thanks, I'm pretty clueless with the technical side. I mostly play games.
Ok, exclusively play games. ;)

1 hour ago, jetset said:

Gotcha! Thanks, I'm pretty clueless with the technical side. I mostly play games.

BTW, if you can get hold of a nanoPEB or CF7+, that will provide you with the necessary disk emulation in hardware.  I have not seen a CF7+ in many, many years, and the nanoPEBs do not seem to be in production anymore.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jetset said:

4 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

BTW, if you can get hold of a nanoPEB or CF7+, that will provide you with the necessary disk emulation in hardware.  I have not seen a CF7+ in many, many years, and the nanoPEBs do not seem to be in production anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 8:26 AM, JB said:

Is there a difference between TI Runner and Star Runner?

Aside from the title screen and "Star Runner's on a cartridge", I mean.

Honestly I do not think there is a much difference. If Star Runner has the same LVL 28   (separate Levels file) it is probably the same.

1 hour ago, globeron said:

Stuck at thislevell, I cannot get the blue key

I always played with the Q and Y key (the Joystick Fire keys),   but with K and L  blaster keys it is different as now I can blast in front of me   (... now hope I reach level 9 again, but the game play is different)

(https://forums.atariage.com/topic/307149-databiotics-game-manuals/?do=findComment&comment=4545645)

image.thumb.png.5c51e4ad02850f7608e17d785e586e0e.png

@Asmusr  at js99er.net  --- go to software and you can run Star Runner here.  It looks the same to me for the 1st level, but the type of brick structure is a bit different.

image.png.ebc4ac6a37c8874f7bba8d3866528e7a.png

image.png.3ed46eea4c055257ae4f367ff3157cf2.png

image.png.b424c1cb494986cae2054dcd6fafd66f.png

"Star Runner's on a cartridge"

for Classic99 

StarRunnerC.bin

StarRunnerD.bin

For MAME or Batocera  (on Batocera, need to release CAPS LOCK (ALPHA LOCK) and the D button (right does not work), use the PC-keyboard arrows and K and L for the blaster, but in Batocera you can walk and blast at the same time, will try this one to clear level 9.

starrunner.rpk

6 hours ago, globeron said:

tuck at thislevell, I cannot get the blue key. If I remember correctly with playing using a Joystick you can break a wall while jumping. Need to test it out If that works.

Can you knock out the brick to the left or right of the ladder?   I have only reached level 5... I'll have to give this another go.  I don't remember there being any cheat codes or hints booklets for the game. 

8 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Can you knock out the brick to the left or right of the ladder?   I have only reached level 5... I'll have to give this another go.  I don't remember there being any cheat codes or hints booklets for the game. 

Load Level 1 first then in sequence press  SHIFT 3 and 09,  then it loads Level 9 directly   (works with Disk TI Runner and Cartridge Star Runner)

I can do it now with PC99 it also supports parallel walking and blasting (like MAME / Batocera). Now you can jump and blast the last brick (use the blast behind you when walking to get to the key and jump down. 

(I cannot do the parallel walk/blasting in JS99er.net and Classic99) .cc @Asmusr / @Tursi

Very difficult level, also at the bottom to get pass the purple guy.

image.thumb.png.eb24b52aad52c5ed094a0286c0ca6e09.png

Edited by globeron
  • Like 3

On 4/10/2023 at 3:26 AM, JB said:

Seems an interesting game, unfortunately I was unable to play this month...

I am a bit confused because of the various versions available. I am counting:

1. TI RUNNER Original (disk based, both EA3 and EA5 available)
  2. TI RUNNER 2 (disk)
  3. TI RUNNER 3 (disk)
  4. Star Runner (cart)

Any more?

Plus the level Editor (just one version)

In my post from April 4, I "linked" to what I believe is the original version, which is the game intended for this month's competition. 

The later posts contain neat history and variations that I'm sure some of us have not seen and/or had forgotten about for a long while.

You still have two days to run the original and give it a try ;)

9 minutes ago, Count9929A said:

Seems an interesting game, unfortunately I was unable to play this month...

I am a bit confused because of the various versions available